Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI Long Cranking on Cold Start?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TDI Long Cranking on Cold Start?

Hey guys, just picked up my 2014 TDI. Had it for two days now, I'll post a review and some pics later.

Today, it is cold here, in the teens to twenties. When I went to cold start the car twice, I pushed the start button, the glow plug lit up, turned off, paused and then the engine went to turn over but it cranked for a good 3 seconds or so before it came to life. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal?

I'm going to try putting the engine in the on position first for a few seconds and then start it to see if it still does this. This way the glow plugs will be hot and so will the fuel heaters.

I have heard of this happening with some people on the 335d (never happened to me). On cold days, she just lights up the glow plug light for a second or two and then starts right up.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Actually, TDI cold starting time a question of interest for me too.

What is a typical time to start on a modern TDI in cold weather from the point you hit the start button to get things going? How long are the glow plugs doing their thing before the engine turns over? Thus at temps like 0-20F or lower, or well under 0C.

For the OP, in early diesel days it was dozens of seconds, so I expect a few seconds here or there is relatively minor. But since I have a place in Tahoe that can easily be at these temps many evenings or early mornings (or even -10 to -15F at times), I'm curious about the actual field experience in Audi's current USA related TDI motor. Too warm here in the coastal SF Bay Area to have anyone around w/ practical experience in serious cold locally.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I am on Long Island (near NYC) and it was in the 20's F today. I had 2 second delay on start after pressing button. Slightly longer than in warmer temps. Fwiw.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20's here in Tulsa and I have a similar experience to Dennis.....and my Q is parked in my garage. I have noticed that it takes some time for the engine temp to get off the cold mark. Heater works well in advance of the needle climb. No worries.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am located in NW Maine, near the Canadian border. We have had minus 20F temps and has routinely been in the single digits and teens of late; the delay in start with our TDI has been 1-3 seconds (closer to 3 seconds in the sub zero temps).
Old 12-26-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Loafer123
I am located in NW Maine, near the Canadian border. We have had minus 20F temps and has routinely been in the single digits and teens of late; the delay in start with our TDI has been 1-3 seconds (closer to 3 seconds in the sub zero temps).
Are your cars just taking a while to begin cranking because the glow plugs are doing their thing or is the engine cranking for a few seconds before starting up? This only happens on cold starts. I find the engine warms up very quickly.

What should happen, press start button, glow plug illuminates, turns off and then the engine cranks and starts right up. What's happening to me, the glow plugs do their thing for a second or two and then the engine starts to crank and cranks for a few seconds before firing up.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It is normal for the TDI engines from the VW Group.

Glow plugs for the first time to launch 2-3 seconds when you open the driver's door, without contact and starting the engine

Last edited by spijun; 12-26-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Are your cars just taking a while to begin cranking because the glow plugs are doing their thing or is the engine cranking for a few seconds before starting up? This only happens on cold starts. I find the engine warms up very quickly.

What should happen, press start button, glow plug illuminates, turns off and then the engine cranks and starts right up. What's happening to me, the glow plugs do their thing for a second or two and then the engine starts to crank and cranks for a few seconds before firing up.
My engine fires almost immediately with no cranking....and I do sit at idle for 30 to 40 seconds before I slip it into reverse and back out of the garage.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I am on Long Island (near NYC) and it was in the 20's F today. I had 2 second delay on start after pressing button. Slightly longer than in warmer temps. Fwiw.
To clarify, I press the start button (foot on brake), 2-3 seconds pass, car cranks and starts instantly. There is no prolonged cranking.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fired mine up at -2 degrees F. Glow plugs took a few seconds (as one would expect/hope) and it fired right up. No lengthy cranking at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TDI Long Cranking on Cold Start?