Audi 5000 turbo on LPG, more boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 5000 turbo on LPG, more boost

Hello,

I got an Audi 5000 CS turbo quattro avant with mc1 engine, which is running on LPG injection controlled by a megasquirt (MS2E). I got the car running for quite some time now and use her as my daily driver.
She starts on petrol (original k-jet system) and once warmed up enough the megasquirt switches to LPG so it's a fuel only set up. The ignition is controlled by the original system. I do use the megasquirt to control the fuel pump. So I don't have a issue with the original fuel cut. I can set the value myself with the laptop in megasquirt. I have set it to 1.75bar at the moment. Tried to get the original system working regarding the upper control pressure at the waste gate, controlled by the megasquirt. For some reason, cannot get it to work very well. So I was thinking to go for a stiffer waste gate spring or perhaps make the old waste gate adjustable? And do not use the upper control pressure system at all. Has anyone got experience with this? The goal is 1.7 or 1.8 bar absolute.
Regarding the ignition, the megasquirt cannot control the ignition in this case. So I would like to update the original system. If I'm able to advance the ignition timing slightly that would be nice together with the lpg. I As far I could find this could be done by a resistor which affects the timing and the fuelcut. or fit a chip (Ben swann) which has the same effect. I would prefer the resistor, dur the fact it's easier to do and easier for testing. Further on the megasquirt controls most of the system. I don't see big problems with this. Has anyone ideas regarding how much ohms I must use and how to fit it? Any experience is welcome.

At the moment I'm driving without a WOT switch, what would be the effect regarding ignition timing? Actually I need a throttle position switch which has a CT, WOT switch and a potentiometer for the megasquirt. I have one from a Audi 200 20v, which has a CT switch and a potentio meter but no WOT switch. Does any one of the exsitance of a trottle switch which has all?

If anyone has good ideas or tips and experience please let me know

Kind regards,

Patrick ( from the Netherlands)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sounds like an interesting setup! My MS experience is limited to MS1 so bear with me, but seems to me, If your already running MS2E why not pick up some junkyard coil packs and just go ignition control? I know you said it cannot run ignition on this setup. is it because your running k-jet on start up? I guess I'm just failing to see the advantage of running multiple setups like that when you already have a computer capeble of doing it all. Not trying to diss your setup, you obviusly know what your doing. Just seems like More work than its worth when you could simplify it all and have total control over start-up, fuel and ignition without much more investment.

Don't know if this helps but my KH has 2 TPS's. one for closed/open and one for wide open. Maybe you could trick the MS and just wire them up like they are one switch. I know, sounds stupid but I think it may be possible, seen some crazy setups on MS.