Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

About to buy today....S Line or SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy today....S Line or SQ5

Ok so I'm about to do the purchase to day. I have driven just about everything made with more than 2 seats over the last couple months and the Q5 series seems to be the best choice for my new car as we are planning on a bigger family soon.

So with that being said.
2014 Q5 with the S Line package, or just go for a SQ5. From what I have narrowed it down to price wise it is about $3500 difference between them which isn't a make or break it deal, but do you get $3500 more for you money with the SQ?

Later on down the road do the S model cars hold their value more? I plan on holding into this for a while so resale isn't the only thing I'm looking at just didn't know if it was worth it in the long run.

I know the brakes are bigger on the SQ and minor interior changes between them. The SQ has the dual mode exhaust..but other than trim is there anything major different? Are the engines the same just a different tune and pulley setup?

I have driven both and I must say around town they don't feel that much different but the SQ does have a bit more pick up once at highway speeds which is nice (I currently drive a C6 Z06 Corvette).

How's the Volcano Red in person? Looks cool in pictures.

From everything else I have heard on here, and saw on line they seem to be a very reliable car...and my wife's two past CC VW's have been awesome with zero issues so the company seems to build a good solid car.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So with that being said.
2014 Q5 with the S Line package, or just go for a SQ5. From what I have narrowed it down to price wise it is about $3500 difference between them which isn't a make or break it deal, but do you get $3500 more for you money with the SQ?

I thought so. I test drove the 4 cylinder, the regular 6 cylinder, and the uprated 6 cylinder in the SQ. I personally thought the SQ was night and day different in performance as compared to the regular 6 cylinder. it felt like a stiffer ride, accelerated way better, and sounded amazing in sport shift mode.
Later on down the road do the S model cars hold their value more? I plan on holding into this for a while so resale isn't the only thing I'm looking at just didn't know if it was worth it in the long run.

Can't answer this one.

I know the brakes are bigger on the SQ and minor interior changes between them. The SQ has the dual mode exhaust..but other than trim is there anything major different? Are the engines the same just a different tune and pulley setup?

as you are probably aware the SQ5 has the S4/S5 engine, but with an upgraded crankshaft and stiffened block. it has a completely different exhaust from manifold to tips as compared to the Q5. the trans is tuned differently. stiffer suspension.

I have driven both and I must say around town they don't feel that much different but the SQ does have a bit more pick up once at highway speeds which is nice (I currently drive a C6 Z06 Corvette).

really? it was night and day for me, personally.

How's the Volcano Red in person? Looks cool in pictures.

I didn't see this on a Q5, but noticed it on an S5. personally, I didn't love it. it looked a little orange-ish to me.

Last edited by -hef-; 01-06-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not able to edit my posts yet - I forgot to wish you luck. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get. the Q5 is a beautiful auto.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To me, I love the kinda burnt orange they are doing on the new Camaro and Corvette so I would like it if it had a bit of orange to it.

I wasn't aware that there was actual structural changes to the engine though....that is a difference to me at least in how well it would hold up if I decided to ever do modifications later on.

Since I am so familiar with the Corvette, just like the ZR1, most would think it is the same 6.2L with a blower but they actually changed the alloy of the block and heads, added piston oil squirters, different head bolts, head gaskets, different crank, pistons...so a lot of things to help it hold stock boost plus some over the normal 6.2L in the base cars. They also had a different fuel system, ECU...so more than just a couple of upgrades.

I wasn't sure if it was that deep of a change with Audi on the S cars like the S5,S6,S7....
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LEThumper
To me, I love the kinda burnt orange they are doing on the new Camaro and Corvette so I would like it if it had a bit of orange to it.

I wasn't aware that there was actual structural changes to the engine though....that is a difference to me at least in how well it would hold up if I decided to ever do modifications later on.

Since I am so familiar with the Corvette, just like the ZR1, most would think it is the same 6.2L with a blower but they actually changed the alloy of the block and heads, added piston oil squirters, different head bolts, head gaskets, different crank, pistons...so a lot of things to help it hold stock boost plus some over the normal 6.2L in the base cars. They also had a different fuel system, ECU...so more than just a couple of upgrades.

I wasn't sure if it was that deep of a change with Audi on the S cars like the S5,S6,S7....
Volcano Red is DEFINITELY a burnt orange....and if you love that color there is a lot of it on the Q5. Before I ordered my Q5, I was wondering the same as you, as I like reds. Dealership received an A4 in Volcano Red and called me to come look.....only looks red at midnight under a moonless, overcast sky. It IS a metallic Burnt Orange. Try performing a Google Image search and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.
Buy the SQ5 and don't look back......lots of members here have them and are passionate about them.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I almost bought a volcano red SQ5 but decided I would tire of it. It is more orange than red but if you like unique bright colors, it's very nice. I went with phantom.

I haven't driven the 3.0T Q5 but that's because I want max performance out of my cars so that put me right in an SQ. do you want max performance? Can you live with a noticeably stiffened suspension (that is definitely tolerable and handles very well)? Does the regular Q sound and transmission cut it for you? Will you be doing a tune? Do you want the more rare model? I think those are the major differences and questions to ask.

Last edited by Transfer; 01-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with the SQ5. I DID!!! $3500 is not that much more to jump up to a S model!! Not a fan of volcano red. It's burnt orange in person. To me color is everything on a car. That is why I waited 7 months on my misano red. I would go with black? Grey or glacier white if I had to choose something else.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volcano red, as others have said, is definitely burnt orange.

As for the difference between the two...it was mentioned above, but it isn't just a tune difference between the Q5 and SQ5 power plants. There are also some subtle, but important, aesthetic differences between the two.

Finally, based on volume and basic economics, the rareness of the SQ5 (relative to the standard Q5) will likely make it more valuable down the road in regards to resale.

I was in EXACTLY the same position as you when we were ordering ours. I was set on the S-line as I'd assumed the SQ5 was going to be a significant price increase...then pricing came out and it was no-brainer to me. It was a car for my wife, but I wanted to like driving it too. And considering I have an RS4 and have grown to appreciate the rareness of that car, I went with the SQ5 for the increased power, better aesthetic features (IMO) and the rareness of it.

Couldn't be happier. I've seen 1 SQ5 on the streets in the months since we picked it up...and more standard 2013-14 Q5s (3.0T, 2.0T, TDI) than I could possibly count. To us, that is cool and something we liked about the SQ5 value proposition.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know if I can post pics from my phone but I ended up with a 2014 SQ5 with Nav, B&O, nappa leather, side assit, and 21" sport wheels. Black on black on black.......and more black. Time will tell how much I'll miss the Corvette but at least it's a sporty grown up car!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LEThumper
I don't know if I can post pics from my phone but I ended up with a 2014 SQ5 with Nav, B&O, nappa leather, side assit, and 21" sport wheels. Black on black on black.......and more black. Time will tell how much I'll miss the Corvette but at least it's a sporty grown up car!
Congrats! You'll miss the Corvette but the SQ5 is a very competent small SUV upgrade to grownupism. I have a thread somewhere about selling my M3 for the SQ and I miss that V8 every day but then I remind myself why I changed vehicles and then I'm happy with my new car again.

Quick Reply: About to buy today....S Line or SQ5