S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Any luck with estoril blue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Difuser
Unfortunately it does show wrinkles well....
Slid down a long hill to an embankment at the bottom. Then it was hit by 2 more cars while waiting to be towed. The last car that hit it was doing 30-35 went through 2 officers and 5 people missed everyone/thing to hit the S4 with my wife inside. Did I mention it had 250mi on it....
This sucks! Sorry. Glad to hear you and your wife are ok...as much as we all obsess about these cars, people are far more important (and much less easily replaced .

As a fellow low mileage Estoril Blue owner (with the black optic package to boot), it's eerie see a car that looks just like mine banged up like that. Best of luck w/the insurance claim.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s4affectionado
This sucks! Sorry. Glad to hear you and your wife are ok...as much as we all obsess about these cars, people are far more important (and much less easily replaced .

As a fellow low mileage Estoril Blue owner (with the black optic package to boot), it's eerie see a car that looks just like mine banged up like that. Best of luck w/the insurance claim.

How is your paint holding up? Any issues?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sjuhawks19
How is your paint holding up? Any issues?
So I just hit 600 miles yesterday, so I may not be a good data point yet. I think I'm also less particular about paint than many might be here (I don't, for instance, exclusively hand wash my car), though I understand that others are understandably interested in avoiding any kind of swirling or minor clearcoat imperfections. I'm lucky if I can keep my wheels clean, honestly.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whoa. It's painful to see the car like that! Especially when we're worried about minor scratches and swirls. I have a '13 Estoril blue. Love the color. It looks black at dusk and night, but in the bright light it's awesome. Not many people with that color, so it stands out. BUT I usually hand wash it myself once/week and I wax it every other month. It is a hard color to keep clean, so whenever it rains, it spots (and same goes for the brake dust on the rims too). I am usually a more practical guy: gray or white colored cars don't look so dirty so quickly, but that color on this car just doesn't do it for me....it's the price to pay for beauty - much high maintenance, so you gotta really love the color first.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Stay the hell away from Estoril Blue-- never did I think a color choice could have so much impact on car care. I've owned many a black car and they don't even come *close* to the hassle that Estoril Blue is. It's not just that it shows even the slightest dust, I could live with that, but more so the fact that it picks up and shows clear coat scratches like there is no tomorrow, and these minor (yet easily visible) swirl/scratches aren't removable by a simple hand wax, but require professional detailing to remove. I have had my Estoril Blue S4 for only FOUR months, yet I have had to have it professionally detailed twice by a pro with an orbital polisher, and this is despite only me hand washing it with the finest micro-fibers. After this last detail, I decided to get the hood, bumper, and fenders covered in Ventureshield PPF. As soon as I can confirm that that holds up well, I plan on filming the rest of the car as well. This is my last hope in dealing with this issue, and if it doesn't work I will be seriously looking to trade it in for another color within a year. I like my car clean and shiny, and though I can deal with frequent cleaning, I can't deal with constant scratch repair.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get you guys a Cyclo dual head polisher and use GLOSS-it products. It's about the easiest thing I have done. I am really picky about swirl marks and was really afraid of using a power polisher. I did some testing on my old jeep and some friends car. But it is really easy and you get great results. YouTube gloss it and you can watch how easy it is. I am in no way a paid and don't get anything out of it. I just wanted to pass in some great news. Cost of a set up is around $400. If you don't order anything order the tire shine. Best I have used. No sling what so ever
Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

While on the topic of paint maintennace... questio to those who live in the northern regions (particularly where it freezes, snows, and there's salt on the road): how do you maintain/wash your car in these cold temps? - obviously taking the car to a carwash place is out of the question (scratches, swirls, etc.)....
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SPEEED
While on the topic of paint maintennace... questio to those who live in the northern regions (particularly where it freezes, snows, and there's salt on the road): how do you maintain/wash your car in these cold temps? - obviously taking the car to a carwash place is out of the question (scratches, swirls, etc.)....
Heated garage with floor drains that has hot and cold water piped to the hose faucet inside the garage. I do a quick hose down with warm water after driving in the bad stuff, and then wash them by hand every week or so.

From past experience with dark/black cars, I buy white/light colored cars now. Swirl marks drive me nuts.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait till a ok day then freeze you butt off. I have always maintained my cars to perfection in the winter. I wash outside and then pull it into my heated garage. And wipe down and shine everything. If the car is sandy or muddy. I take it to the carwash first and spray it off as much as I can then come home and hand wash it. Had the soap freeze many times. Lol. I am in Texas now. But I also own a home in Colorado. I promise it is a lot harder to keep one clean in Texas than Colorado. I live in town in Colorado and in Texas I am at the ranch. It is on a paved road thank God. I can't do dirt roads. But just bundle up and leave the car running with the heat on high so it will be warm when you get it. Here is a pick of my SQ5 that I just washed on Monday. It was 40 degrees with the wind blowing about 20 mph
Attached Images  

Last edited by JBDinTX; 12-27-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRMick
Heated garage with floor drains that has hot and cold water piped to the hose faucet inside the garage....
OK, I stopped reading there.... that's science fiction to me!!! /ENVY!!!!

Quick Reply: Any luck with estoril blue?