S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Launch control class action?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
Although i understand the 3.7 time is a very strong claim (by C&D, and their numbers "advertised" by Audi in the commercial), trying to normalize factors is a very tedious process. I have seen many valid points brought up (example: two scenarios....0-60 in "Denver" vs. 0-60 "along the coast" will yield two different results in the real world...should one of them sue?), but filing a class-action on a 3.7 sec claim probably will not last long in a courtroom.

As for the 200 LC limit, I do believe this is an issue.

A car buyer, regardless of his income/earnings status, and his/her choice to buy any car they want, to do whatever they want with it, should know exactly what they are buying. What if a car buyer 4 years down the road (you? me?) wants to buy a 2013 Audi S6? What if the current owner used LC "195" times? The 2nd buyer gets only 5 LC's? This car was advertised to have LC, not "limited count" launch control.

Perhaps what Audi should (could) have done, since they can obviously count the launches, is:
- state in their advertising, and owners manual, that damage to the "associated parts" will not be covered under warranty, using LC beyond 200 LC's
- when LC count approaches, say, 180 (90% for example), provide a display reading that says "warning: LC control count approaching 200...
- when LC count exceeds 200, a message could state, LC 200 exceeded...to continue LC process solely at customer risk, press Accept." ( or something to that extent...)

This way, the owner acknowledges EVERY TIME after 200 LC's that they are responsible for repairs. I would bet "most" owners would think twice to use it after the "200" count, or at least reduce the use of it....

Another point is that an S6 out of warranty is not the manufacturer's expense concern, per se. What difference does it make to them 6 years down the road, from a warranty coverage standpoint (assuming all warranties have expired, for example)? A car owner should have the choice to do what they want.

It appears that the LC limit is to limit Audi's exposure to breakdown claims--they are a business-- any good company looks for ways to protect themselves from claims that they cannot control. I do know they also consider "image;" and a bunch of broken down S6's would not look good, but that is a risk for any manufacturer who builds high performance cars, and market to performance-minded individuals.

A class-action suit does not seem too far-fetched on the LC limit; but perhaps there is a solution where Audi can re-program these cars based on the items i listed above.

Thoughts?

My .03 (adjusted for inflation)...

Steve

Nicely said. I've felt all along the issue is one of proper disclosure to the customer. No reasonable person would expect Audi to cover infinite uses of launch control under the standard warranty but to have a hidden limit is just plain wrong.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
Nicely said. I've felt all along the issue is one of proper disclosure to the customer. No reasonable person would expect Audi to cover infinite uses of launch control under the standard warranty but to have a hidden limit is just plain wrong.
audi warrantied my claim, they are replacing my mechatronic unit.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sciblades
The claim being that LC no longer functions? Might be a good precedent for others so affected. No issues with a TD1?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sciblades
Well done by Audi. I don't plan to hit 200 launches myself, but I'm glad to see they're stepping up here.

Did they say what will happen next time when the replacement fails at 200 more, or did they give you a special one that will keep on launching?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Delurker
Well done by Audi. I don't plan to hit 200 launches myself, but I'm glad to see they're stepping up here.

Did they say what will happen next time when the replacement fails at 200 more, or did they give you a special one that will keep on launching?

Well it went more like they said it would be 3 grand to replace and I decided launch control is that important to me so I told my service rep "I will pay for it but, I feel cheated by audi that they did not disclose a launch limit" he said it was in the manual (which it is not) I said this should be a warranted item and used the analogy of giving a limit you can use the high beams. He call his regional rep and they said they would cover it this time but next I will be sol

No td1 DSG is still under warranty.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Better than paying the 3 large yourself, and you get twice as many launches as the rest of us, but still pretty sucky that there's an unpublished deactivation, especially given that Audi advertises the numbers obtained with it.

I just hope there aren't other such limits lurking - like the boost gets turned down a few psi after I floor it to redline 1000 times.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard GIAC can zero out the LC count with a TCM flash.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tagimet
I heard GIAC can zero out the LC count with a TCM flash.
Anyone confirm this count can be reset? Would be rather lame to lose functionality after only 200..