A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Parts to keep on hand???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Parts to keep on hand???

I have recently purchased a 2004 A8 and have performed all maintenance on it to get it up to par. All fluids and filters have been changed so now I have a baseline for future maintenance. Whenever I get a new (to me) car I begin to stockpile parts that are known to go bad more frequently than other or parts that are generally hard to get. I keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist looking for people parting cars out. I do all my own work and rely on my car so I can't afford downtime. What parts do you keep laying around the garage waiting to be replaced? I typically keep starters, alternators, air suspension parts (I'm a land rover guy) and parts like that. I always keep any belts or hoses that are replaced but still in usable condition. I'd be happy to hear any and all recommendations.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default None. Buy a VAG-COM/VCDS diagnostic cable set up

Yeah, I used to do that with my first Audi 100LS kid fun but piece of crap reliability car, and I can see it on any Fix It Again Tony or traditional British heritage car of yore.

For modern Audis I just buy ahead on maintenance parts (and not more) if I see very good deals--plugs, filters, wipers, etc. On a 2004, most I could see getting is a timing belt full kit (including water pump, thermo, etc.). But these parts are readily available and those of us who have been through it have often come around to deciding the "good deals" are often second rate "cheap" parts in more ways than one, and thus move back to O.E./O.E.S.

If you have an initial $300-400 to spend beyond a basic set of tune up parts, hands down for this car, invest in the VAG COM/VCDS cable from Ross-Tech. Will quickly save you buying $400 of other parts you then end up keeping for false guesses on what a given issue was. Once you have it, it will be good for any known Audi you are ever likely to own.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Vag Com from a previous A4 that I had and it is compatible with this car so I am good there. I did the complete timing belt kit, transmission fluid/filter, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, oil change, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, fuel filter and front and rear diff on the first weekend I had the car. The only think I haven't done is the center diff/transfer case. I wasn't quite sure where the fill/drain plugs are on that so I am holding off until I get a repair manual.

How reliable are the air compressors and related parts? Coming from the Range Rover I always had a spare air compressor and valve block handy.

On that note, what happens with a failure of the air system on these? Are they drivable? My Rover blew an air line and I had to drive 200 miles on the bump stops. NOT fun.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Skim the board on the air system...

If you search or even read down a few pages at any given time, you will find air system issues.

There are definitely posts on system failures here, mostly the early 2004 ones. Mine is a 2006 and has always been 100% fine. Many of the failures seem to start in the air lines or shock units, but then also take out the compressor along the way if not caught and repaired really pronto. One of the regular posters here is knowledgeable on the WABCO and other pump cross overs that work here if needed. Yes, from other posts if the system goes out all the way, it drops way down, before which the compressor has likely fried apparently.

On cable, I take it you had a recent A4 that was CAN based. I had to get the newer CAN cable relative to where I started on my 2000 A6, since it was pre CAN.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Spare right fuel pump may be a good idea. Struts and compressor are quite expensive and may never be needed.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Arnott has been granted official distribution rights from WABCO to buy the electronic controlled air suspension compressors direct for service parts in North America. Previously, the only official source was through VW/Audi parts with grey market parts from Amazon, fleabay etc. Arnott also remans the dampers (air struts) which are made by Conti.

I drove from the West suburbs of Chicago to home near Detroit (300 miles) with the car bottomed out due to a damper failure three years ago. Not fun as it was a very rough ride with Interstate 94 not being in the best shape due to winter weather and the usual potholes. Only damage was to the lower engine cover but I still use it with a ty-wrap repair.