S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
A quick glimpse of things to come...

I stopped calculating price when i saw the 1200$/per sub :P - those are excellent subs, i went for the cheaper alternative and only one.

You having ultimate auto do it? You wont have much rear deck leftover after they cut that second hole
Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk785
I stopped calculating price when i saw the 1200$/per sub :P - those are excellent subs, i went for the cheaper alternative and only one.

You having ultimate auto do it? You wont have much rear deck leftover after they cut that second hole
Actually, the Dynaudio subs were $1600 each.

Yes, Ultimate is doing the work for me.
We are not installing them in the rear deck. We are building a trunk baffle that fires into the cabin through the folding seats.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, the Dynaudio subs were $1600 each.

Yes, Ultimate is doing the work for me.
We are not installing them in the rear deck. We are building a trunk baffle that fires into the cabin through the folding seats.
I've seen those subs range based on where you get them, 1200$ was the cheapest I found them when I was looking--but the price you gave is what I'd expect to pay when going through anyone local.

So you're losing the fold down/passthrough?

You going to do those lowering links yourself (saw in another post)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you're losing the fold down/passthrough?

You going to do those lowering links yourself (saw in another post)
Yes, I will lose the passthru. But we are building the baffle so that I can unbolt it and remove temporarily to use the passthru.

I am considering lowering my car eventually, but for the moment the car stereo is on the agenda. I'll deal with the lowering at a later time.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I will lose the passthru. But we are building the baffle so that I can unbolt it and remove temporarily to use the passthru.

I am considering lowering my car eventually, but for the moment the car stereo is on the agenda. I'll deal with the lowering at a later time.
my wife would **** a brick if i spent 5k+ on car audio--she **** a large enough brick with the wheels and tires I ordered lol --I'd say I'd want to hear it when it's done, but then it would **** me off when I go back and listen to mine :P
Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Updates today:

Was in the shop today and I was really lucky that a team of guys from Ellettromedi/Audison was touring the shop. I got to talk with their top techs about my car, and integrating with their equipment.

Some things I learned:

1. The Audison BitOne processor does not sum the Center channel or Subwoofer signals to all the outputs. They remain discrete outputs when they leave the CPU. This means there is not any benefit in my case to hooking up the center channel since I won't have a center channel speaker in my system.

2. It might be possible that when we test the Bose front door midbass speakers, if they play audio frequencies all the way down to 20Hz... then we won't need to connect the subwoofer from the Bose amp into the BitOne.

3. We are going to have to test the speakers when using the parking assist beeps and Bluetooth phone calls to determine which speakers from the Bose play those sounds. It might be necessary to use some relays to temporarily enable/disable the rear or center speakers when those systems are using them. Or we might lose some of the audio functions of the MMI. Will have to update everyone later when we know more.

I also got to see one of the new Prima line processor/amplifiers. It was very cool looking, and incredibly small. About the size of my hand.

The Prima line might be a good option for people wanting to upgrade the factory audio system without changing any speakers. It has a Bit processor built in, along with 8 channels of amplified signal and a 9th output for an additional subwoofer amp. The amps can be daisy chained and stacked, up to 3 units. So there's a lot of expandability.

The Prima line should be available in April this year.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Updates today:

Was in the shop today and I was really lucky that a team of guys from Ellettromedi/Audison was touring the shop. I got to talk with their top techs about my car, and integrating with their equipment.

Some things I learned:

1. The Audison BitOne processor does not sum the Center channel or Subwoofer signals to all the outputs. They remain discrete outputs when they leave the CPU. This means there is not any benefit in my case to hooking up the center channel since I won't have a center channel speaker in my system.

2. It might be possible that when we test the Bose front door midbass speakers, if they play audio frequencies all the way down to 20Hz... then we won't need to connect the subwoofer from the Bose amp into the BitOne.

3. We are going to have to test the speakers when using the parking assist beeps and Bluetooth phone calls to determine which speakers from the Bose play those sounds. It might be necessary to use some relays to temporarily enable/disable the rear or center speakers when those systems are using them. Or we might lose some of the audio functions of the MMI. Will have to update everyone later when we know more.

I also got to see one of the new Prima line processor/amplifiers. It was very cool looking, and incredibly small. About the size of my hand.

The Prima line might be a good option for people wanting to upgrade the factory audio system without changing any speakers. It has a Bit processor built in, along with 8 channels of amplified signal and a 9th output for an additional subwoofer amp. The amps can be daisy chained and stacked, up to 3 units. So there's a lot of expandability.

The Prima line should be available in April this year.
You're not going to use a mobridge?

as for #3. the sound of bluetooth audio depends highly on the MMI version you're using. This was one of the reasons why I had Audi techs upgrade my MMI to the latest version before I started planning my bit one install. Unfortunately, that update broke the bose processing and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (shortly thereafter I traded the A7 --still in the shop--for the S6).

Don't recall the post, but people were talking about bluetooth audio being changed dramatically with an MMI update--where it used to only come out of a couple speakers--the update made it play through all or many more.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're not going to use a mobridge?
Nope. If you use the MoBridge, then we lose voice control of MMI and bluetooth telephone. The microphones plug directly into the Bose amplifier, and would therefore get bypassed when using the MoBridge.

as for #3. the sound of bluetooth audio depends highly on the MMI version you're using. This was one of the reasons why I had Audi techs upgrade my MMI to the latest version before I started planning my bit one install. Unfortunately, that update broke the bose processing and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (shortly thereafter I traded the A7 --still in the shop--for the S6).

Don't recall the post, but people were talking about bluetooth audio being changed dramatically with an MMI update--where it used to only come out of a couple speakers--the update made it play through all or many more.
We will test everything soon and see what happens.
I just got updated to MMI 0715-2.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Updates:

Went by this morning to check the progress. They have removed the Bose midbass enclusres from the front doors, and built the first new baffle and trim ring for the Beyma 8" woofers that will be going in their place.

Sound dampening has been applied to the outer door skin. You can see some through the hole in the door.

Here is one of the Bose enclosures.

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade