A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fusebox location on A6 (c6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the fuse box on passenger side.

There are a couple of ways to do this. Find an empty fuse position. Look in it you should see one contact on the left side and it should be open on the right side. With a test light or voltmeter check the left side for power key on and make sure it turns off with key off. Now for a clean install go to the Audi dealer and buy a wire with the right end on it to fit in the fuse box and splice it in to your power wire. Now you have a fused power that works with the key and looks factory. Next find the ground post under the dash. It should have a few brown wires on a stud with a nut holding them down to the body. Put a round connector end on your wire and attach to the stud. This is how I would do this job plus you won't put any stress on the factory harness.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
Get a 'Mini add a circuit' - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=071-585

I added a 3A fuse on the new circuit; I think it needs to be only 1A. I used #20 slot on the Driver side fuse panel.

A lot of times the electrical will not turn off after you take your key out until you open a door. Maybe thats what you are experiencing. I think you want to try a different slot.
thanks! I'm using a 1A fuse for the circuit. Will prod around for a 10A fuse that switches. Just that the other 10A fuses are linked to things like the instrument panel and other seemingly expensive equipment so I didn't want to take the risk...

I've turned the enjine off, locked the doors and went to the store and the radar was still running!

will post a pic of the setup sometime.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by john_S6
Using the fuse box on passenger side.

There are a couple of ways to do this. Find an empty fuse position. Look in it you should see one contact on the left side and it should be open on the right side. With a test light or voltmeter check the left side for power key on and make sure it turns off with key off. Now for a clean install go to the Audi dealer and buy a wire with the right end on it to fit in the fuse box and splice it in to your power wire. Now you have a fused power that works with the key and looks factory. Next find the ground post under the dash. It should have a few brown wires on a stud with a nut holding them down to the body. Put a round connector end on your wire and attach to the stud. This is how I would do this job plus you won't put any stress on the factory harness.
thanks john, if I understand your process correctly, that would involve removing the fuse box and splicing from the rear? agreed that it would be the neatest and "cleanest" way.
thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zerosurf
thanks! I'm using a 1A fuse for the circuit. Will prod around for a 10A fuse that switches. Just that the other 10A fuses are linked to things like the instrument panel and other seemingly expensive equipment so I didn't want to take the risk...

I've turned the enjine off, locked the doors and went to the store and the radar was still running!

will post a pic of the setup sometime.
The reason your radar was still running is because you wired it NOT to "ignition controlled power source" (only turns on when ignition is on ex. Sun Roof) but instead you connected it to the fuse that was "constant" power (ex. sig. lighter)