Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Blauparts Suspension Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blauparts Suspension Conversion Install

This weekend I installed the Blauparts Suspension Conversion kit - it took me (a complete novice) about 9 hours. No complications, the kit was simple, the directions were clear, and the car rides great. From what I can tell, it looks like this install may be a bit more simple than the Arnott conversion. There was no drilling - just take out the old parts and bolt in the new parts.

I won't post a complete write-up of the install because they sent a set of instructions that were very good. One note that would have saved me a couple hours and a bunch of frustration is that the fronts and rears are side-specific (yes, that should have occurred to me). I didn't notice the PS or DS on the stickers, so I spent a couple hours trying to install the drivers side on the passenger side and wondering why it wasn't lining up with my lower control arm. A call to customer support cleared things up (they were great BTW), and everything else fit together perfectly.

The hardest part was monkeying with the control arms (front and rear) to get things to lined up. I used a floor jack to lift & hold the arms/brake assembly since I was working alone. I also had to use vice grips and a big flat head screwdrivers to pry a couple things into place, but nothing out of the ordinary for working with suspension parts.

I'd highly recommend doing the job yourself if you have the time and a basic set of tools. Up to this point, I've just done oil changes & stereo swaps, so this was my first more advanced project. It took an entire day, but saved me a ton of $$ vs having a shop do the install.

Happy to answer specific questions if anybody is headed down the conversion road.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How high does it sit? As in, mm from centre of wheel to the fender.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They say it is set for level 2 and I haven't disconnected the ride height control module/compressor yet, so the dash light confirms that it is still sitting at level 2.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mooreroad
They say it is set for level 2 and I haven't disconnected the ride height control module/compressor yet, so the dash light confirms that it is still sitting at level 2.
Nice, Ive been contemplating this for some times now. but I just like the(In-cabin) adjustment too much. Although I too, would like the piece of mind of not having to worry about it. One of those, "Set it and forget it" type of installs. Congratulations!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job. Just remember that suspension parts vibrates and thus need to be properly torqued. (tight). Most of us use the good judgement method instead of a torque wrench, so if you did, you wont be the only one. LOL. Then again there is thread lock liquid (blue or green). If you remove a bolt and see green stuff around it, or a nut with a plastic washer inside, resistance to vibration is already applied.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I would love to see a picture of the AR with the new suspension on...
Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yo mooreroad
I'm considering the conversion for my AR. Did you do it to an AR or Q7? Is it a sport ride or a stock ride?
Also I see your local to me. I just found a great shop that finally diagnosed the problem with my air system.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by capnandy
Yo mooreroad
I'm considering the conversion for my AR. Did you do it to an AR or Q7? Is it a sport ride or a stock ride?
Also I see your local to me. I just found a great shop that finally diagnosed the problem with my air system.
I did it on my Allroad - the ride feels about the same - maybe a little firmer, but not annoyingly so. I'm very happy with it and have no complaints. I haven't posted a picture because I keep forgetting to take one, and it also sits perfectly on level 2 (the ride height sensors are still on, and they show level 2), so it would just be a picture of a silver allroad on level 2.

If you're on the Eastside, I highly recommend Redmond Werkshop (http://www.redmondwerkshop.com/) - they have done some work on my car and are great. They have been honest about what needs to be fixed now and what can wait a while.

--Ryan
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the comeback. I'm tossed between the Arnott and Blausport conversion.

I'm not on the Eastside anymore but I used to live over there and have used Redmond Werkshop. They did OK work but installed really bad parts one time. One endlink went bad in about 2 miles and the one they replaced that with made it almost 1 block! Also made be believe in stock or better parts.

The new place I found is in Renton, South Lake European. They opened recently. As you probably already know these systems can be difficult to diagnose and these guys drilled down and down until they found the problem. I am giving up on the air bags completely and will sell off what's still usable.

Andy
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by capnandy
Thanks for the comeback. I'm tossed between the Arnott and Blausport conversion.

Andy
Yeah, I chose the Blausport kit because it was $300 cheaper. I assume both are good though. Having a few hundred miles of daily commuting on my setup, I have no complaints about the Blausport kit.

--Ryan

Quick Reply: Blauparts Suspension Conversion Install