Is the 3.0TFSI really that "de-tuned" from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 3.0TFSI really that "de-tuned" from the factory?

Briefly, I'm a relatively new member and very proud new owner of a '13 S4 so, flame me for not correlation searching and cross referencing before posting if you must but, I'm just interested in others' thoughts and welcome conjecture just as much as empirical data...

I have read a numerous reviews and watched countless videos on this car before (and after) my purchase and I am getting the consistent sentiment that there is a LOT of untapped potential in this marvelous little engine.

The following video is just one very compelling example:

Cheers
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most car production turbo engines are never full out highest boost highest performance possible. They have to make the engine last 100k+ miles, be reliable, pass emmisions, get decent fuel economy, still be a normal car, run on pump gas. So Yes there is ALOT of potential from any factory turbocharged car. Can void your warranty though
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Most car production turbo engines are never full out highest boost highest performance possible. They have to make the engine last 100k+ miles, be reliable, pass emmisions, get decent fuel economy, still be a normal car, run on pump gas. So Yes there is ALOT of potential from any factory turbocharged car. Can void your warranty though
If you are using the term, "turbocharged" generically to include supercharging as simply another form of forced induction engines, I understand and accept the longevity, reliability argument.

I simply dont recall hearing about such substantial power gains from similarly sized "exhaust gas driven 'turbocharged' engines" when compared to "crankshaft driven 'supercharged' engines" simply by re mapping the ECU.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_THX1138
If you are using the term, "turbocharged" generically to include supercharging as simply another form of forced induction engines, I understand and accept the longevity, reliability argument.

I simply dont recall hearing about such substantial power gains from similarly sized "exhaust gas driven 'turbocharged' engines" when compared to "crankshaft driven 'supercharged' engines" simply by re mapping the ECU.
Well supercharging does have limits, but smaller supercharger pulley and some tuning and theres alot to be gained. Since these are really the first Audi's with superchargers, not much to go on. But say GMs 3800 supercharged V6's have huge power to gain from a smaller pulley, tuning, exhaust, intake. Im sure audi wouldnt have used the supercharger to its full potential, they have to make it last.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.