FSI DI engine carbon problems impacted by motor oils???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FSI DI engine carbon problems impacted by motor oils???

I recently purchased a used 2009 A6 Quattro and it is just turning 30K miles. It was a trade in on a MB lot and has not gone through an Audi CPO program. The MB dealer did run it through a safety check, inspection and LOF change using Mobil 1 and oem oil filter.

Reading the 2009 Owners manual, it specifies the Audi oil VW 502 00 5W-40 oil grade. Given all the FSI DI engine fuel dilution, injectors and intake valve carbon build up issues I have been reading about, I wanted to ask if these have resulted in any consensus of a newer, better or different grade of motor oil we should use? A couple of threads I read on other sites suggested different motor oils helped with the longevity between the troublesome point of too much carbon build up.

I was at the Audi dealer service dept. yesterday and all they have for sale is the old VW 502 00 Castrol Syntec 5W-40 which is also matches an OEM label on my engine. Is there anything potentially to be gained from higher/newer grades like the VW 503, 505, 507s???

I went to the Castrol website and filled out their "which oil to buy" form and it recommended

Your selection
Manufacturer : AUDI
Model : A6 QUATTRO
Year : 2009
Engine : 6 Cyl-3.0L CCAA

Your Recommendations

Engine Oil: EDGE w/ SPT 5W40 SEO 5W-40

Differential: Castrol SYNTEC Gear Oil, SAE 75W-90
GL-4 75W-90

The "SPT" is Syntec Power Technology.

I first searched the Engine forum here, but found no oil related threads.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not too familiar with the engine offerings for the A6. Is this the supercharged motor in the new S4? If it is there has been no evidence of CB being an issue for our cars. There have been a handful of people who have opened up their engine and have found no cause for concern, I think the highest milage was around 30k
Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

You will be better off using a 502.00 spec oil. 5W40 is the preferred weight per the Owner's Manual, but there are several other viscosities, too.

The Benz dealer may have used Mobil 1 0W40 which meets both Benz and VAG specs.

The newer 507.00 oil is mandatory in the new TDI diesel engine. It won't bring any benefit to the older engines.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Surprisingly the new Castrol Edge I bought does not have any of the VW Audi specs on the bottles. I ended up getting my Castrol oil from my Audi dealer to play it safe.

Fwiw, I also ran into a BG products rep and had my induction system cleaned with their system. Surprisingly, the intake and engine appeared to be very clean. No apparent carbon build up. Good news.

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenreau
Surprisingly the new Castrol Edge I bought does not have any of the VW Audi specs on the bottles.
Ken, are you certain that the VAG-spec'ed EDGE oils are available for sale in the USA?

If you are a Castrol fan, you can get the 502.00 oil at Autozone. I think you might find it at some Advance Auto Parts stores, too.