S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Full-size spare/wheel in tire well?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full-size spare/wheel in tire well?

Does a full-size wheel/tire fit in the spare tire well? On my C5 it barely does - some tires require slight under-inflation to fit - and I modified the stock retaining bolt to fit. Any experiences on the S6? EDIT: I've ordered the 20" stock wheels.

TIA,
Richard

Edited to change wheel size to current choice.

Last edited by Richard Solomon; 12-31-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bump.. I'm wondering the same
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It doesn't appear there's room for a full size wheel and tire in the A6/S6 spare well. It's pretty tight in there as it is with just the donut spare.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It doesn't appear there's room for a full size wheel and tire in the A6/S6 spare well. It's pretty tight in there as it is with just the donut spare.
Understood - on the C5 it didn't look like one would fit either, but IIRC the owner's manual said you could store the flat wheel/tire in there. At risk of being pedantic, the donut should have the exact same diameter/circumference as a real wheel/tire setup, so it's really the trunk well depth that should be at issue. The S6's wider wheels might interfere with the trunk floor / spare well cover of course.

I know, I know, it'll probably be a try-it-and-see, but since I have *MONTHS* to wait for my car, I keep hoping for a BTDT, ideally a positive BTDT
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The car battery in the tire well is a fail, IMO.

I much preferred how my old BMW had the battery under a compartment on the passenger side of the trunk floor. I had a full sized spare with normal wheel, although it was useless because they only time I ever got a flat tire was when a pothole killed 2 tires and a wheel. Had to get a tow trunk for that.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
At risk of being pedantic, the donut should have the exact same diameter/circumference as a real wheel/tire setup, so it's really the trunk well depth that should be at issue. The S6's wider wheels might interfere with the trunk floor / spare well cover of course.
The diameter is the same, it's the width that is of concern. The spare tire is nearly half the width of the 255's
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first time I ever saw a 20" donut spare, made me chuckle. My buddy with a RS7 does not even come with a donut since his car came with 21". They include that fix a flat cramp, or just call roadside.

We did take off a tire and noticed that stocker tires have a foam sticky layer of the inner side of the tire to help with punctures and allow to self seal.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
The diameter is the same, it's the width that is of concern. The spare tire is nearly half the width of the 255's
Agreed - my point was only that IME the "looking tight" is related to diameter not width. Maybe that's just me and my skewed view of the world. Snagitseven strikes me as a pretty observant guy, so maybe he meant tire width / well depth looked tight. I know on my C5 there was a lot more well depth than was apparent - though that car shipped with 5 full-sized wheels as I recall.

We're all in violent agreement - but we need a guinea pig to try it
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

We're all in violent agreement - but we need a guinea pig to try it
Just curious if anyone has tried this since the thread went idle?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will try

Just curious if anyone has tried this since the thread went idle?
I'll try it with my winter tire on 19" wheel.. Do you think it would be better to drive on one winter tire or the compact spare in an emergency?

Quick Reply: Full-size spare/wheel in tire well?