The Great Fuel Debate

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Great Fuel Debate

So I had a thought. Higher compression engines that are not built for ethanol-blended fuels typically run like crap if you use an ethanol blend. It is a proven fact that ethanol blended fuels wreak havoc on engines that are not built for it. I had a lawnmower that ran like dirt, and I was about to rebuild the engine on it, until somebody suggested switching to a non-ethanol fuel. Sure enough, the thing ran like it was brand new! Just changing the type of gasoline, dramatically changed the way it ran, and I'm not talking a small improvement. It was unbelievable how much better it ran. The Audi NG motor is a high compression engine that was built before the introduction of ethanol blends. Has anyone ever switched to anon-ethanol fuel, and did it make a difference in performance, MPG, etc? I would love to start a debate about this. I think I will fill up with non-ethanol next time, without changing anything else, and post my own findings.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Where can you purchase fuel that hasn't been tainted with ethanol ?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Go there and look up the list by state. There are half a dozen places in my town that sell it. Most places that sell it carry it in only one octane and it's expensive. Regular crap gas here is $3.47 and E0 gas is $4.10.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been recently turned onto ethanol stabilizing additives like Sta-Bil makes. I actually didn't even think of it until I bought a brand new chainsaw awhile back that would barely run out of the box, even after taking it back to get it tuned, and a relative said he had a new saw do that and someone said that would fix it and it did. Of course chainsaws come neutered nowadays due to EPA rules, but that's a whole other discussion...

Now I'm curious to try that stuff in the cars. Unfortunately I live where you can only get 10% ethanol, so it's that or buy the little tiny cans of TruFuel at Home Depot for $20 a gallon or so. Ethanol just sucks.

-Rog
Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TEF1701

Most places that sell it carry it in only one octane and it's expensive. Regular crap gas here is $3.47 and E0 gas is $4.10.
$4.10 is what I pay here in NY for premium. So I wouldn't mind paying that or a bit more for high octane 100% gas. My other car has a high compression 454 c.i. engine which provides mediocre gas mileage, so I would be interested in seeing how it runs without the ethanol.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Go there and look up the list by state. There are half a dozen places in my town that sell it. Most places that sell it carry it in only one octane and it's expensive. Regular crap gas here is $3.47 and E0 gas is $4.10.
WOW, you are lucky. We used to make it a point to fill up when traveling to VT in VT...they didn't have the tainted fuel and you would definitely notice a difference in power and fuel economy. Not available any longer.

My nearest station on that list is a 100-mile roundtrip
Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
I've been recently turned onto ethanol stabilizing additives like Sta-Bil makes.
I tried the Sta-Bil stuff in my lawnmower first and it didn't make any difference. There is just something about the nature of ethanol that the engines don't like. It's funny that modern engines are being built at higher compression ratios so that they can run the ethanol fuels more efficiently. The Ford EcoBoost engine is capable of running up to 14:1 compression so that it can run all the way up to E30 gas. The main problem is that most of the older cars on the road today weren't built for ethanol. It doesn't do too much damage to engines with aluminum components, but anything steel or cast iron severely corrodes when exposed to ethanol. And it's only going to get worse as the government slowly increases the blend from 10% to 15% ethanol. Just my two cents.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tried the Sta-Bil stuff in my lawnmower first and it didn't make any difference.
Out of curiosity, was the lawn mower 2-stroke or 4-stroke? If it's a 4-stroke then that doesn't bode well for helping any in the cars...

Completely agree about ethanol. I also think it's idiotic to use our food supply as fuel, making food more expensive. So nothing good to say about it.

-Rog
Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Out of curiosity, was the lawn mower 2-stroke or 4-stroke?
It's a 4-Stroke. I'm glad I got people thinking.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bummer. That stuff may only benefit 2-strokes then.

-Rog

Quick Reply: The Great Fuel Debate