85 CGT Wont Start - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dadebe
Got the fuel Distributor opened today. Oh Man!! the plunger was stuck and will not move with my hand so I soaked it in Gas and after 4 hrs I saw a little movement after a while it started going up and down. I plan on leaving it in the soaker overnight and then blow all the holes out with a compressor.

The injectors are a different story.. I even bought an injector remover and broke the tool. I thinbk I am going to leave that alone and hope that the fuel distributor will do the trick. I will eventually take the car to a mechanic to pull out the injectors. (Something tells me I could break them)

The donor Fuel Distributor has a stuck plunger as well so I am soaking that one too. Will keep you posted once the car Vroooms hopefully tomorrow pm!! All in all it's been fun.. (so far)
Can I put a wrench to the plunger and get it out for more cleaning? I thought I read somewhere that the plunger shouldnt be taken out.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The "rod" part of the plunger comes out just by pulling it (though it may have a tab locking it in place, which can be moved out of the way). Again, if you gouge it up with tools it will leak. The surface of it is what seals against the O-rings in the cylinder and lets more or less fuel through to the injectors. If you turn the nut that holds the cylinder itself in then you'll likely misalign the holes inside, so I wouldn't mess with that at all.

If the plunger doesn't come out by hand then something's definitely wrong with it. I would keep soaking it in a solvent of your choice, such as carb cleaner, kerosene, or WD40, until you can work it back and forth enough for it to come out or at least move freely. Soak the whole thing in Seafoam if you have to.

-Rog
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rog nailed it.

I wouldn't use any tools on it to remove it at all. If it isn't moving by hand, keep soaking. As far as I know, the plunger is machined fit to the distributor. If there is any slight damage to the surface, it will no longer seal and pressurize. This also means you cannot interchange plungers and distributors.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
Rog nailed it.

I wouldn't use any tools on it to remove it at all. If it isn't moving by hand, keep soaking. As far as I know, the plunger is machined fit to the distributor. If there is any slight damage to the surface, it will no longer seal and pressurize. This also means you cannot interchange plungers and distributors.
Pulled the Fuel Distributor and the plunger is freed up blew out the holes w Air compressor and mounted the FD. I heard a nice whining sound from the distributor but still the car will not idle. I am going to be out of the country for some days so I had the car towed to a CIS mechanic friend of mine (probably should have given the car to him in the first place)to take a look. I can't wait to find out the problem. Thanks guys I appreciate all the guidance
Old 04-24-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dadebe
Pulled the Fuel Distributor and the plunger is freed up blew out the holes w Air compressor and mounted the FD. I heard a nice whining sound from the distributor but still the car will not idle. I am going to be out of the country for some days so I had the car towed to a CIS mechanic friend of mine (probably should have given the car to him in the first place)to take a look. I can't wait to find out the problem. Thanks guys I appreciate all the guidance

Got back from travel this week - contacted the mechanic where the car has been for a month and this is what he says.

1) He checked the fuel pressure before the Fuel Distributor the reading was around 90 psi
2) He checked fuel pressure after the Fuel Distributor but before the Fuel pressure regulator and the reading was around 90 psi again
3) Checked the fuel pressure after the pressure regulator and the reading was 140-150 PSI.
4) He then changed the Fuel pressure regulator with 2 other used fuel pressure regulators and again the reading was 150 PSI. and the car will not run - it just dies after 5 seconds
He said the Fuel Pressure regulators were $300-$500 and I just dont knpw if I should be buying one at this point.
5)He checked the return line for flow or kinked line and all appeared good.

The brand new plugs have black soot all over them. After going thru the foum it appears a faulty fuel pressure regulator typically will guve you a lower PSI rather than a higher PSI Am I correct on this? and what should I be looking at next that can regulate or lower the PSI to normal to get this car running. Still looking for some help