RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Pros and cons of Run-Flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pros and cons of Run-Flat tires

Given the lack of a spare tire in the RS7, I'm debating changing to run-flat tires. Pirelli has a run-flat version of the stock 275/30/21 P Zeros.

Any opinions on the subject? Any one have experience with run-flat tires?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are harder less grippy and will degrade the overall traction of the car. Get a can of fix a flat and use road side assistance
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a BMW 650 that came with run flats and I will never buy a car again that has run flats. You give up your need for a spare at the expense of ride (as in rough) and cornering (as in grip). If you are into performance cars, and you have to be to own an RS7, they are the last tires on earth you should ever think about.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 60614allroad
Given the lack of a spare tire in the RS7, I'm debating changing to run-flat tires. Pirelli has a run-flat version of the stock 275/30/21 P Zeros.

Don't do it, you'll ruin the performance
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

First, thanks all for your responses. Second, here's the brutal reality: The spare that comes with the S7 will not clear the RS7's front brake calipers. So, I've got two choices; one, get a 20" wheel with a smaller/narrower tire (which may still need to be deflated to fit into the spare tire well so I will need a pump as well). Or two, get a can of Fix-a-flat and a pump. For now, I'm going with option two....
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That stinks they can't do some German engineering to make room to put at least a full size 20" spare for a 100k car. I had thought the s7/rs7 had the same brakes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First, thanks all for your responses. Second, here's the brutal reality: The spare that comes with the S7 will not clear the RS7's front brake calipers. So, I've got two choices; one, get a 20" wheel with a smaller/narrower tire (which may still need to be deflated to fit into the spare tire well so I will need a pump as well). Or two, get a can of Fix-a-flat and a pump. For now, I'm going with option two....
Interesting, I thought the rotor size of the S7 being larger, the spare would have worked. Didn't realize the RS7's caliper's were even larger than the massive S7 calipers.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Interesting, I thought the rotor size of the S7 being larger, the spare would have worked. Didn't realize the RS7's caliper's were even larger than the massive S7 calipers.
I had my dealer try an S6 spare on my RS7. it does fit just fine and a the whole thing fits in the RS 7 when you take out the stock foam tool caddy. you can subsitute the tool caddy from an s7 and it will work also . i have put the spare on the front myself just to make sure. it is possible that the S6,A7 and S7 parts all work but we have not tested that. one caution. the compact spare comes in various sizes from Continental. the dealer could only find a 165/60/ 20 ( yes the spare is is a 20 ) but it is just a bit too large in diameter to fit in the well. they are searching for the correct size but it may not be available until june. if you want to hear the horror stories about run flats check out a bmw site.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So umm which is true? I was pretty sure that the S6 spare tires were identical to the S7 spare tires.

The spare that comes with the S7 will not clear the RS7's front brake calipers.
Originally Posted by Freddavies
I had my dealer try an S6 spare on my RS7. it does fit just fine.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dont do it, Don't do it, Don't do it! One of the reasons I moved to Audi from BMW was the stupid run flats that BMW insists on using. They suck. Expensive, worse handling, poor wear, and noisy. On my previous BMW 550 I replaced the stock run flats with Michelin PS3 and an emergency repair kit that included an electric pump and puncture "goop".

That is what BMW provides with their M5 in lieu of Run Flats.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of Run-Flat tires