Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Individual Settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM
SQ5
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Individual Settings

Curious what others are using for their individual settings. I'm finding that the dynamic steering can be a bit "busy" on the highway so I set up my individual mode with the steering set to comfort and everything else set to dynamic. In other words, my individual mode is essentially the dynamic mode with comfort steering.

Anyone else find the dynamic steering to be a bit much sometimes?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQ5
Curious what others are using for their individual settings. I'm finding that the dynamic steering can be a bit "busy" on the highway so I set up my individual mode with the steering set to comfort and everything else set to dynamic. In other words, my individual mode is essentially the dynamic mode with comfort steering.

Anyone else find the dynamic steering to be a bit much sometimes?
I have;
Steering = Auto
Exhaust = Dynamic
Engine/Gearbox = Auto
ACC = Dynamic

I change to the 'Dynamic' profile when I want a more spirited drive.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As someone who doesn't see the value in comfort steering or comfort engine noise, I don't see a lot of value in Audi Drive Select for the SQ5 TFSI. I generally keep ADS in Individual and just change transmission between D, S, and manual. Here's my take (feel free to correct any errors):

All ADS settings: Suspension is fixed, no changes. The SQ5 suspension is great, but why no adjustability? This is where the meat of the ADS system would normally be.

Comfort:
-Transmission = D. Not sure if shifting is any different than D with other ADS settings.
-Steering = Comfort
-Exhaust = Flaps closed unless you shift into S(?)
-Engine = No added sound

Auto:
-Transmission = D. Stays in D at all times but not sure if it gets more aggressive with shift points if driving aggressively?
-Steering = Comfort but stiffens up at speed?
-Exhaust = Flaps closed. Not sure if they open when you floor it but I would guess no. Flaps open when shifting to S(?)
-Engine = No added sound unless driving aggressively.

Dynamic:
-Transmission = S. If you change to D, is the shift pattern any different than ADS in Comfort?
-Steering = More tight and responsive (slightly)
-Exhaust = Flaps open but if you switch to D, I think they might close.
-Engine = Increased sound (fake, but sounds really nice).

Individual:
-Transmission = D or S depending on setting
-Steering = Depends on setting
-Exhaust = Flaps open/closed depends on D (closed) or S (open)
-Engine = Depends on setting

My Individual settings:
-Transmission = Auto. I don't think there is an ADS effect between D or S other than switching to D or S. I can do that on my own.
-Steering = Dynamic. Not sure what is the point of Comfort as it is way too light and loose for me.
-Engine = Dynamic. Who wants a quiet SQ5? The comfort option is pointless to me and It's still really quiet in Dynamic.
-Exhaust = No setting but flaps seem to only be open when transmission is in S or manual(?).

I think my main question is what is the difference when transmission is in D between ADS Comfort/Auto and ADS Dynamic? Transmission in S is certainly more jerky than in D in all ADS settings but does D do anything different in Dynamic vs Comfort?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

So there is no Exhaust sound setting in Individual on the SQ5 TFSI?

On my SQ5 TDI it has a specific setting to turn the sound on/off...

The Engine/Gearbox setting adjusts throttle response/shift points.

Until now I assumed you had the same setting which opened/closed the flaps to change the sound, but from your post it seems maybe its different...

This is a vid explaining ADS in an SQ5 TDI...

Last edited by josedebardi; 01-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have the Engine Sound setting which does not affect the exhaust but no specific Exhaust setting. I think this goes back to the difference between the TDI and TFSI "Sound Actuator", where the TDI seems to have a built in sonic pulse effect while the TFSI only has open or closed flaps.

If you change Engine/Gearbox to Dynamic, doesn't that just put it in S? Is there any difference between Dynamic D and Comfort/Auto D?

I think deez d's are the same deez. lol
Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
We have the Engine Sound setting which does not affect the exhaust but no specific Exhaust setting. I think this goes back to the difference between the TDI and TFSI "Sound Actuator", where the TDI seems to have a built in sonic pulse effect while the TFSI only has open or closed flaps.

If you change Engine/Gearbox to Dynamic, doesn't that just put it in S? Is there any difference between Dynamic D and Comfort/Auto D?

I think deez d's are the same deez. lol
I see...

My understanding of the Engine/Gearbox is while Dynamic defaults to tranny S, and Auto/Comfort to D it does more than this.
Dynamic has sharper throttle response compared to Comfort, so Engine/Gearbox=Dynamic, override tranny to D, you should still have sharper throttle but with the early shift points...
I don't know if putting it in Comfort and then overriding tranny to S will keep the lazy throttle response - I've not tried!

In Auto it basically makes up what it wants for throttle response depending on how you are driving.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

That makes sense to me. I think the transmission in D with ADS Auto works quite well. I'll pay more attention to throttle response changes in different settings. Overall I think throttle response is excellent for this class of vehicle. The response is easily as good as my M3 was although the engine is not as fast to rev.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
That makes sense to me. I think the transmission in D with ADS Auto works quite well. I'll pay more attention to throttle response changes in different settings. Overall I think throttle response is excellent for this class of vehicle. The response is easily as good as my M3 was although the engine is not as fast to rev.
That M3 V8 is an insanely rev'y engine though - would be hard to beat! Had lots of fun in my previous 135i when a mate hired an E90 M3 for the day to **** me off!

The throttle response in the TDI (when you are in Dynamic/S) is VERY impressive, you really wouldn't believe you are driving a diesel... I am definitely going to take an SQ5 TFSI out for a spin next time I am Stateside! I really want to experience the difference first hand!