Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

About to buy this A6. Could use your help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Let Me Summarize

One: Based on the LACK of sport suspension and LACK of cold weather package, make sure you recompute the proper retail/purchase price of this vehicle

Two: Get the seller to give you a REASONABLE explanation as to why a susposed high end seller could not tell the vehicle does NOT have two valuable options that they are advertising. In other words you now have a REAL reason to question ANYTHING this seller says. Make sure absolutely everything is in writing.

Three: there is some hint in the Car Fax that they may have "sold" this car in early October. Try to verify and find out why the deal didn't go trough or why it may have been returned.

Four: Based on the Car Fax there is only about 1 3/4 years left on the Warranty.

Five: If I was looking at this car, I probably would not buy it based on one thru four above.

My background: I have owned eight Audis 1998-2013 including four A6's, an allroad, one S4 Cab, and two S5 cab's.

Last edited by AUDIQSS; 12-09-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: wording
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a Texas car. If it goes anywhere near I-35 between Austin and Dallas, you definitely don't want a sport suspension.

It should be a bargain Prestige, since I believe it equates to a loaded P+ without sport package.

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
One: Based on the LACK of sport suspension and LACK of cold weather package, make sure you recompute the proper retail/purchase price of this vehicle

Two: Get the seller to give you a REASONABLE explanation as to why a susposed high end seller could not tell the vehicle does NOT have two valuable options that they are advertising. In other words you now have a REAL reason to question ANYTHING this seller says. Make sure absolutely everything is in writing.

Three: there is some hint in the Car Fax that they may have "sold" this car in early October. Try to verify and find out why the deal didn't go trough or why it may have been returned.

Four: Based on the Car Fax there is only about 1 3/4 years left on the Warranty.

Five: If I was looking at this car, I probably would not buy it based on one thru four above.

My background: I have owned eight Audis 1998-2013 including four A6's, an allroad, one S4 Cab, and two S5 cab's.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You're right. I forgot the Side Assist option included the heated side mirrors and missed the lack of the ACC radar lenses.

Thank you all for the help. I do agree, it seems ACC is also not in the car and I think that's yet another misrepresentation by the dealer where he claims the car has "Overtaking Sensor System". Obviously he doesn't know it's called ACC but I think that's what he meant.

So as far as the price, I emailed them and told them about the inaccuracies of the listing and they apologized and agreed to drop the price down to $42k. My budget is $40k so I'll email them again today and tell them about the lack of ACC and my last offer of $41k.

AudiQSS> thanks for your input as well. I saw the record you mention of registration back on early October and I'll question that. It does look however that it was sold by moritzdirect and that's a wholesaler so I wonder if it has to do with the intra-dealer sale? just a thought.

Thanks all for your amazing and FAST input! getting really close on this. I personally think it would be a great buy at 41k given it's a Prestige 2012 with less than 25k miles? I could also get it some nice rims (Vossen or Morr) later on.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Banned

I'd go out on a limb and guess that it's a lease return. However, you should not buy the car sight unseen given the fact that the dealer has misrepresented the car in a somewhat intentional manner so as to avoid any warrant of merchantability.

Test drive that thing and make an offer in person for $39k. If they balk, you should walk.

The market is deteriorating right now. Values are falling off a cliff. If they've had that car since October, they might just want to get rid of it while they can.

Originally Posted by jcamber
Thank you all for the help. I do agree, it seems ACC is also not in the car and I think that's yet another misrepresentation by the dealer where he claims the car has "Overtaking Sensor System". Obviously he doesn't know it's called ACC but I think that's what he meant.

So as far as the price, I emailed them and told them about the inaccuracies of the listing and they apologized and agreed to drop the price down to $42k. My budget is $40k so I'll email them again today and tell them about the lack of ACC and my last offer of $41k.

AudiQSS> thanks for your input as well. I saw the record you mention of registration back on early October and I'll question that. It does look however that it was sold by moritzdirect and that's a wholesaler so I wonder if it has to do with the intra-dealer sale? just a thought.

Thanks all for your amazing and FAST input! getting really close on this. I personally think it would be a great buy at 41k given it's a Prestige 2012 with less than 25k miles? I could also get it some nice rims (Vossen or Morr) later on.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Side Assist actually includes Pre-Sense Rear which will detect a possible collision from the rear and do a couple of things which could be interpreted as "Overtaking Sensor System".
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Side Assist actually includes Pre-Sense Rear which will detect a possible collision from the rear and do a couple of things which could be interpreted as "Overtaking Sensor System".
This non-Audi term they're using is probably referring to the included Side Assist which alerts to cars "overtaking" in an adjacent lane. Still, I'd be careful with this dealer who also claimed it has "heated rear seats" which, without the cold weather package, it doesn't have.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by in2dwww
The market is deteriorating right now. Values are falling off a cliff. If they've had that car since October, they might just want to get rid of it while they can.
Thats for sure! Paid $57.5k 3 months ago and was just offered $48k on a trade. Thats like GM level depreciation.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Thats for sure! Paid $57.5k 3 months ago and was just offered $48k on a trade. Thats like GM level depreciation.
Check out SLK and SL AMG models with low miles going for the high $20k range.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Keep in mind, you're comparing retail to trade in - the dealer has to make money on both but has to make lots more on a trade. Plus, depreciation is always the greatest the first couple of years and a downright killer as soon as the owner signs the purchase contract. I can hear my net worth drop like a stone when I make that first turn out of the dealer's driveway.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sadly, these prices are dictated by banks. A bank will only lend so much against a car, and the wholesale + 10% is about the max they'll do. It's up to a buyer to come up with the rest, and not many can do that with a lease or limited cash.

Go here:
http://www.cudlautosmart.com/Researc...eInValues.aspx

Select Black Book

Enter your vin

Then notice the max loan amount a bank will issue. Not many folks out there have the liquidity to pay $45k in cash. Sadly, I take it most don't even have $5k for a down payment. The result is a huge drop in resale just for the sake of rolling a loan. Top that off with higher new car sales, and you're stuck with what you have for a while unless you want to take a haircut. If you have a lease, it's even harder to get out.

I have a 2007 SLK55 AMG that I was going to trade in for a 2014 A6 TDI. Not anymore. I'll be lucky to get actual published KBB trade in values. I've been monitoring Ebay auctions for latest sold prices as well and they are all about $10,000 under KBB and $5,000 under NADA. It's not just MB, it's across the board. Some of it may be a factor of the year-end, but I think it's 1) fewer cash buyers, 2) fewer car loans on used cars, and 3) it's a buyer's market.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Keep in mind, you're comparing retail to trade in - the dealer has to make money on both but has to make lots more on a trade. Plus, depreciation is always the greatest the first couple of years and a downright killer as soon as the owner signs the purchase contract. I can hear my net worth drop like a stone when I make that first turn out of the dealer's driveway.

Quick Reply: About to buy this A6. Could use your help!