S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Name That Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name That Tune

I recently found a low mileage, reasonably priced 2010 S4 Prestige with 6MT (finally!) and took delivery on Friday -

The dealer knew it was ECU tuned (presumably due to a TD1 code or similar?) and it's pretty clear to me it is tuned (judging from my recollection of driving a stock 3.0TFSi hard a couple years ago) -

However there is no indication whose tune it is. The dealer was either unwilling or unable to identify it.

After suitably beating them up on the price and accepting a small window of warranty risk, I'd still like to know who and what, but am not sure how to go about figuring that out myself -

Does an ECU tune throw an identifiable code? Any other fingerprints that would identify this as GIAC, Stasis, APR, etc. software?

There are no aftermarket exhaust or suspension upgrades, so I am assuming it is a Stage 1 tune. Pretty sure there are some out of band torque upgrades, and at peak rpm - yikes -

TYVM, I love it, but what is it?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Call the tuners and give them your vin and they will be able to tell you if they tuned it... Seeing it's a 10 if it was tuned early on it has to be APR or Stasis via APR... Just hope it isn't an old Revo tune or your driving a time bomb and I would get a new tune...
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you buy it from an Audi dealer? If so, I'm surprised they didn't just reflash the ECU back to stock.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by primetime
Call the tuners and give them your vin and they will be able to tell you if they tuned it... Seeing it's a 10 if it was tuned early on it has to be APR or Stasis via APR... Just hope it isn't an old Revo tune or your driving a time bomb and I would get a new tune...
Thanks primetime - APR was not too helpful when I called them ("We don't store this information any more") - I'm guessing for liability purposes after people re-flash for warranty purposes, judging from other threads I've read on this.

They referred me to a local dealer, to connect to the port and read the ECU version -

Does anyone have any experience working with GMP Performance in Charlotte, as a reputable reseller? Would they only be able to tell if it is a tune that they resell?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
Did you buy it from an Audi dealer? If so, I'm surprised they didn't just reflash the ECU back to stock.
Yes it was an Audi dealer, and I was surprised too - particularly since the dealer indicated they were 'stuck' with the tuned car and couldn't CPO it for the customer they brought it in for.

I suppose it is an honest approach - perhaps we do not give enough credit to dealers these days??
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber92
Thanks primetime - APR was not too helpful when I called them ("We don't store this information any more") - I'm guessing for liability purposes after people re-flash for warranty purposes, judging from other threads I've read on this.

They referred me to a local dealer, to connect to the port and read the ECU version -

Does anyone have any experience working with GMP Performance in Charlotte, as a reputable reseller? Would they only be able to tell if it is a tune that they resell?
No problem... Hmmm... that's now how APR usually is... Are you on vendorzine(Audizine) as well? If so PM Arin@APR and explain the situation to him and he will probably help... Honestly, the only thing I would be worried about is if it's Revo... Do you have a vagcom cable? If so we could tell via a few quick logs... I'd be glad to help via here, PM, or email if needed... If you ever decide to pulley the car you are going to need to know who's software you have so mention that to Arin... You could also reach out to Thomas or Austin at GIAC for help, ie to see if it is their tune...
Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by primetime
No problem... Hmmm... that's now how APR usually is... Are you on vendorzine(Audizine) as well? If so PM Arin@APR and explain the situation to him and he will probably help... Honestly, the only thing I would be worried about is if it's Revo... Do you have a vagcom cable? If so we could tell via a few quick logs...
Thanks for offering - I do not have a VAG-COM setup, but am quickly coming to the conclusion that I need one, in order to own an Audi outside of the happy warranty bubble -

In the meantime, GIAC has been helpful ("nope, not ours"), and Revo redirected me to a local dealer also.

I may pursue more aggressively with the APR contact you specified, in order to save a 80 mile trip down to Charlotte - thanks for that -

(not that I wouldn't enjoy the excuse to take a little road trip - what a blast this car is, the engine and trans remind me a lot of my old 2.7T allroad, but without all that understeer thanks to SD. And a hella-lot more power)

((I'm guessing you're an advocate of the pulley upgrade - is this going to wreck the lifespan of the supercharger, if I want to keep this car to 120K-150K? Wouldn't mind some more low-end torque if I have an APR stage 1 already, and I see how this stuff can become addictive))

I could not help but notice the 3.0T is not (or no longer?) listed on the Revo website for ECU tuning - interesting ...