A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 S8 steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thphon
Orlando, FL. This Audi dealership is the only one for Greater Orlando Area and even Daytona, I guess that's why they don't care
Their labor rate is probably $150/hr, maybe more.

How about these guys? Crappy website but great reviews.

http://www.fullthrottleorl.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/full-throttle-orlando

Last edited by S8ilver; 09-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
#2 on your list: My sunshade does the same thing. I noticed when the temperature outside gets hot, the sunshade sticks. I just try to be preemptive and put it up before I will need it.
I'll try that, hopefully is as easy as that!

Timing Belt Service is a RED FLAG to me. I was quoted by my Audi dealer $1900.00 and the service tech told me, "They'd do me a favor and clean my sunroof drains for free". What a bunch of DB's!

I had the timing belt service done by a trusted independent mechanic for $1300.00. And durning that service, I had the front engine mount and passenger side valve gasket replaced. Total bill: $1535.00.

[url]https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2851557[/url
I have it done, so I don't worry about it at all, but I agree it's a red flag.

Good luck in finding a quality and trusted mechanic. I hate hearing all the problems you are having with your new S8. They are truly great cars.
Believe me, it's not that bad as it sounds, I'm really enjoying the car
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Their labor rate is probably $150/hr, maybe more.

How about these guys? Crappy website but great reviews.

http://www.fullthrottleorl.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/full-throttle-orlando
Yeah, I checked them out, same thing with another one closer to where I live in Kissimmee. The reviews are good, but I wanted to hear back from somebody from the forum if possible recommending a place.
When I get back from Atlanta next week I'll see what to do
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi everybody,

I was able to take the car to a recommended Indy Shop in my town (Orlando, FL) and the following happened:

- The tie rod has a minimal movement, but they told me I should wait until it gets worst to replace it. It's not worth it now.
- Most of the issues that S8ilver mentioned that were due to a bad tie rod going at low speeds, got fixed when I replaced the leaking power steering hose. I got lucky there.
- I still notice a vibration when going over 80mph. The guy from the shop told me to do the following to determine what should be the root cause: Go over 90mph and when I start noticing the vibration put the gearbox in Neutral, that will disable the suspension. If I keep noticing the vibration the problem is either with tires, the wheels or balancing, if the vibration is gone, the problem is with the suspension. I tried it and I do notice a vibration afterwards , but I'll get a second opinion because maybe at this point I'm being a little too picky.
So after all, I took the car to them, they drove it, explained in detail everything and the replacement was done by another mechanic I know. They didn't charge me a dime, of course next time I have a problem I'll go to them. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention them, let me know if I can do. Either way, they were great!
So I'm very happy now because I only ended up spending less than $200 on that hose (quite an expensive hose I must say!).

Cheers,
Leo
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clearly I wasn't paying attention to the previous post.
http://local.yahoo.com/info-14092139...ce-winter-park

I really recommend them!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

- I still notice a vibration when going over 80mph. The guy from the shop told me to do the following to determine what should be the root cause: Go over 90mph and when I start noticing the vibration put the gearbox in Neutral, that will disable the suspension. If I keep noticing the vibration the problem is either with tires, the wheels or balancing, if the vibration is gone, the problem is with the suspension.
I think you mean to say transmission. Nothing "disables" the suspension.

Last edited by S8ilver; 11-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you mean to say transmission." Nothing "disables" the suspension.
Ok, that's a good point. When he started talking about it I thought that's what he was going to say, but no, he didn't talk about the transmission at all. Could there be any other correlation between disengaging the transmission and the effect on the suspension?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, that's a good point. When he started talking about it I thought that's what he was going to say, but no, he didn't talk about the transmission at all. Could there be any other correlation between disengaging the transmission and the effect on the suspension?
What rpm value are you at when you feel the vibration? I'd note that value and then reproduce it in different gears at lower speeds (shift into tip and hold a gear until you hit that value, maybe even do it with the cruise control so you can focus on where the vibration is coming from). It could be an engine vibration you're feeling, and just so happens at that speed above 80mph there is something resonating...an engine mount perhaps.

Really just a guess, but can't hurt.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What rpm value are you at when you feel the vibration? I'd note that value and then reproduce it in different gears at lower speeds (shift into tip and hold a gear until you hit that value, maybe even do it with the cruise control so you can focus on where the vibration is coming from). It could be an engine vibration you're feeling, and just so happens at that speed above 80mph there is something resonating...an engine mount perhaps.

Really just a guess, but can't hurt.
The whole cabin vibrates, I wouldn't think the engine can cause i. That being said, I'll pay attention to that next time