Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+

Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+

You need a VAGCOM device that can communicate with Audi technical service to do this update. If you can program your own keys with the device you have, that device can complete this navigation update. If you don’t have a VAS diagnostic scan tool or a VAGCOM that can communicate with Audi via the internet you will need to take your vehicle to your dealer and pay an additional charge for labor.

There is now a navigation software update for all owners that have the MMI 3G/3G+ system. For those that may not know, if the navigation button in your car has a touch pad in the middle of it, you have MMI 3G.

The system is updated using 2 different part numbers.

The first part number is for the SD card. This card erases all old system data. The card also contains the map data and software update information. Consider this a tool that you only need to buy one time. With this you can update an infinite number of cars. Once used your navigation system will not be functional until the system is activated with the PIN number. The price for this is 280.50 dollars.

The second part number is for the PIN number to activate the navigation system. This is a one time use only code. The price is 241.00 dollars. One part number represents the PIN used for A8 with rear seat entertainment. The other part number is for the PIN for all other cars including A8 for without rear seat entertainment.

The best recommendation may be that you see your local dealer as they will have the SD data cards for use on your vehicle. You should then only have to purchase the PIN number and labor to download. If you want to update the nav system yourself both the SD card and PIN number are available for purchase. It is important that you are able to activate the PIN number through Audi Germany with your scan tool. If you can’t then once the SD card data is loaded but not activated your navigation is unusable.
This update fixes the bug that previously didn't allow hyphens or other punctuation in an address. Addresses such as 27-80 or St. Peters rd should now work with this new update. This update is version 5.5.6.

If more information becomes available about this program we will post it for you all to see.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, I'll ask first. Does this update include the latest maps from Navteq? For $241, it damn well better. Otherwise, that seems like a lot of cash for fixing a relatively minor system glitch.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, that is a lot of money for me to be able to use punctuation!!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
The system is updated using 2 different part numbers.

The first part number is for the SD card. The price for this is 280.50 dollars.

The second part number is for the PIN number to activate the navigation system. This is a one time use only code. The price is 241.00 dollars.
And we're supposed to feel good about this! Friggin ridiculous price for a self-update...over $520.00.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

What is the version number of this update? my 2012 car was built in October/November 2011 and AOA told me I have the latest and greatest version. I believe my maps to be at least 3 years old! A forum member stated I have the update if my car was manufactured in Oct./Nov.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

I can't argue on both counts, expensive self update, and just for punctuation. Here, for our customers the update would cost 300.00 for the pin number and the labor for the software update. Hopefully streets and POI's were updated to include the newest information through 2011.

I will find out from our techs if they have any other information, and find out if "This update is version 5.5.6" has changed to something newer.

I'll get back on this tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

AFAIK, there is only one price, not one for the SD card and one for a key code. When you order the NAV update, the SD card is inside the case with the key code. This key code must be inputted to unlock the NAV/MMI system after the update completes via an online connection with a tester to Audi's SVM database and is only valid once. It records the VIN of the vehicle and it activates the software to operate. If you have no valid key, your system will not work.

For the A8L with entertainment system, there are two MMI units installed, one in the front and one in the rear. This has a different MMI NAV update part number and requires two key codes for both units to update. All other cars just will have a single key code.

Also note, this update is not intended for end users to install, because if any issues come up, it will require assistance or diagnosis that they will not be able to do by themselves.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
What is the version number of this update? my 2012 car was built in October/November 2011 and AOA told me I have the latest and greatest version. I believe my maps to be at least 3 years old! A forum member stated I have the update if my car was manufactured in Oct./Nov.
This is a picture from my 2012 Q5 that I bought on August 19th 2011.
It shows nav as version 5.5.5 which is older than the one in this post (5.5.6). I wish the release notes / change log were available online.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
first off, apologies for our reaction,
but you've been a participant enough to have seen how a 'touchy' subject this is...

Appreciate your taking a hit from us when you are just posting a solution, albeit one that Audi should give for free, but still an update to make our $3k "updated" navigation actually closer to up to date
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to clarify, so this $500+ update is just for firmware bugs in the navigation itself, not the map data?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+