Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DIY, power steering pump replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY, power steering pump replacement???

Does anyone have a detailed DIY for replacing the power steering pump on a 2007 4.2L Q7?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDK993
Does anyone have a detailed DIY for replacing the power steering pump on a 2007 4.2L Q7?
Sorry, I don't. What's the mileage on your q7?

Our 2011 q7 TDI needs a new PS pump, but it's covered under CPO Warranty. We have 55k miles on it.

Peter
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have 75K on mine. It came off CPO about 6 months ago, typical right. Ive owned it from new and to be honest ive really havent had to put much $$ into it other then 2 MMI repairs due to liquid spills. I cant complain, this thing is work horse and has never let me down. I like it so much Im keeping it and just ordered a new Q5 for the wife.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The procedure is pretty involved

The procedure in the manual involves lifting the car on a hoist and removing the two plastic skid plates and then removing the front left wheel. Then you have to remove the support bracket that the back skid plate bolts to. Then you remove the heat shield from the power steering gearbox and the strap bracket for the left primary catalytic converter.

Evacuate the power steering resevoir with a vacuum extractor and then separate the suction line from the resevoir. Then remove the bolts holding the suction line to the engine and pump and remove the line. Remove the pressure line banjo nut. Then remove the three bolts holding the pump to the engine.

Now the pump is shaft driven, so you have to replace the little input shaft when replacing the pump, along with two o-rings, one on the pump side and one on the engine side.

Grease the new input shaft and pump splines before you install. Prime the pump with new hydraulic oil and rotate the pump until the fluid comes out the pressure side.

Reinstall everything and fill the resevoir and then bleed the system.

Before you do all that, what symptoms have you had that make you believe the pump is bad?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ATL2.8Qmmm
The procedure in the manual involves lifting the car on a hoist and removing the two plastic skid plates and then removing the front left wheel. Then you have to remove the support bracket that the back skid plate bolts to. Then you remove the heat shield from the power steering gearbox and the strap bracket for the left primary catalytic converter.

Evacuate the power steering resevoir with a vacuum extractor and then separate the suction line from the resevoir. Then remove the bolts holding the suction line to the engine and pump and remove the line. Remove the pressure line banjo nut. Then remove the three bolts holding the pump to the engine.

Now the pump is shaft driven, so you have to replace the little input shaft when replacing the pump, along with two o-rings, one on the pump side and one on the engine side.

Grease the new input shaft and pump splines before you install. Prime the pump with new hydraulic oil and rotate the pump until the fluid comes out the pressure side.

Reinstall everything and fill the resevoir and then bleed the system.

Before you do all that, what symptoms have you had that make you believe the pump is bad?
Thanks for the help. I actually ended up taking it in to the shop and discovered it was the line that connects the pump to the rack that was leaking. Total cost for repair was just over $600, most of the cost was the hose itself which was a little over $400. Now everything seems ok.