Oil pan/sump gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan/sump gasket

Hello, I am a new member here. I have had an 85 4000s non quatro for 6 or 8 years now and am finally getting around to replacing some gaskets. I am hoping someone could give a little guidance in changing the sump gasket. My understanding is that it can be done with thhe engine in the car and still attached to the transmission. Do the engine mounts need to be loosened? I have seed referance to a subframe. What exactly is that? It has been a few years since I looked at that particular area but I dont recall anything other than a bar under the oil pan. Is this the subframe and what is the method for removing it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The subframe is kind of an I-shaped support that pretty much everything attaches to for the suspension and runs under the engine. In fact I've seen engine removals that took the engine, transmission, subframe, and both strut/wheel assemblies out as a whole unit.

Probably the easiest would be to undo the two engine mount nuts and lift the engine up from the top. You have quite a bit of play there. You may not have to even do that, depending on whether or not someone has used the subframe as a jacking point and crushed it up into the oil pan. At least it's not one of those annoying oil pans that's notched to fit over the subframe so you can't remove it without lifting the engine way up.

-Rog
Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Rog. So I guess the sub frame does match up with what I was remembering. I do not have access to an engine hoist or even a garage at this point, but I am comfortable and familiar with crawling around in the gravel. So I would have to remove the suspension then lower the sub frame? If this is the case it would be time consuming but doable. I have already replaced almost the entire steering/suspension so I know how to take it apart without too much complication. Or would I be able to short cut that somehow?

When I got the car it had a broken timing belt as the result of a frozen intermediate shaft. I was told that the engine would have to be removed from the car in order to change that. Instead I removed the radiator and removed the engine mounts then jacked it up a couple of inches. That was all it took; could this be done similarly by taking the mounts then jacking it up using the transmission? Or would that be putting too much strain on the connection between the engine and transmission?

Until yesterday I had never heard of bentley manuals and looking them up I definatly cant afford one now, but I do have the haynes as well as a chilton import book for 82-89 which has some good info but I am not a mechanic so it is hard to understand some of it.

Last edited by taggrip; 07-03-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try and look around for used Bentley manuals. They are really an excellent tool for working on these cars. Ebay sometimes has them.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess it does have to clear the oil pickup inside, but other than that it would be free once you take the bolts out. Possible that you'd be able to tilt it down enough as you slide it forward...

I really don't think you'd have to remove the subframe. Jacking it up would be fine, as long as you can find a spot that doesn't get in the way. Maybe a jack on each engine mount? You're only talking a couple inches I believe.

-Rog
Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
Try and look around for used Bentley manuals. They are really an excellent tool for working on these cars. Ebay sometimes has them.
Yes I intend to but 50-100 for a used manual is a little more than I have laying around for discressionary funds when I already have 2, albeit inferior, manuals.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again Rog. It is going to be a little while before I get to this project but it seems less intimidating than it did. When I first got the car I remember trying to mess with the oil pan and getting really frustrated although I dont remember why. Before I can start this I have to bandage my other vehicle and schedule some warm dry weather with whomever it is that directs such things...

Other questions...

Is there an inexpensive way to fix the outside door handles, like an adjustment? Or do they just have to be replaced?

I also have engine ticking (especially at lower RPMs). I assume it is the lifters from my reading, but the inner workings of the motor are forign to me. I thought that the ticking was somehow related to low oil or oil pressure, is this likely to be correct? Once I can get and maintain normal oil level and pressure should this go away or is there something I will have to replace (ie lifter springs?). My oil pressure seems low most of the time, but I have a quart every other week leak, so I am hoping that replacing some accessable gaskets will fix that. There is no water in the oil or vice versa, and it doesnt smoke except a little when it is first started. Is there another possible reason for low oil pressure or is it normal for the oil pressure to be close to 0bar at operating temperature?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The ticking is fairly normal with these cars. I would try and maintain the oil level to reduce this. These cars don't use lifter springs. They either have hydraulic or solid lifters. Most of the time, the lifter tick only occurs on start-up and then goes away once the car has warmed up.

Welcome to Team Doorhandle. These car are also known to have the doorhandles go. You may be able to fix them which would require removing the door card and check the mechanisms. A lot of people have ended up replacing them. There are good versions out there and then there are some really cheap handles that will break shortly as well.