I need help once again

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help once again

I need help with my back bulb socket.
example-

I have found out that the bulb socket is causing problems and not working. Is there any alternative (wiring or something similar) or aftermarket bulb socket I can buy, because finding one to buy is nearly impossible in the US. Thanks as usual Rog
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL, has this become my own personal forum now or what??

Do you know specifically what's wrong with it? Like, something bent or corroded or broken? If it's something you can bend back into place or solder up then that's going to be your best bet to keep it stock.

Otherwise you'll have to get a generic bulb holder and Dremel out a spot for it, then solder the leads to the light board and epoxy it in there. That's probably what I would do. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell once the lens is on.

-Rog
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rogviler
LOL, has this become my own personal forum now or what??

Do you know specifically what's wrong with it? Like, something bent or corroded or broken? If it's something you can bend back into place or solder up then that's going to be your best bet to keep it stock.

Otherwise you'll have to get a generic bulb holder and Dremel out a spot for it, then solder the leads to the light board and epoxy it in there. That's probably what I would do. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell once the lens is on.

-Rog
I'm guessing it's the corrosion in the contact itself and i have tried wire brushes to clean it but they don't seem to have worked. The connections going into it are good. I guess my next step is to study up on on electrical knowledge (lack there of)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could it be corrosion in the connector that plugs into the big plastic bulb holder (at least I think that's how I remember them being set up)?

Or maybe a corroded ground?

Both of those are extremely common.

-Rog
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Could it be corrosion in the connector that plugs into the big plastic bulb holder (at least I think that's how I remember them being set up)?

Or maybe a corroded ground?

Both of those are extremely common.

-Rog
My rear Lt. turn signal light didn't work, especially in cold weather. Pressing up on the connector helped to remove corrosion and corrected the turn signal problem.

Take a good look at your connector and use a paper clip or other thin wire to remove any corrosion. Then press it in good and tight and hopefully you'll have the success that I had.

Bob