A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 PI pics and first impression

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 PI pics and first impression

Hi

Just came back from the dealer after seeing the new A8. The launch cars in the UK are mostly 3.0 TDI SE spec with a spattering of options. Unfortunately, apart from a few press cars, they don't have the matrix beam lights.

Visually (and these are mostly my wifes words), we like the rear, the more 3d-like lights are better and the chrome centre strip definitely adds presence. The lower rear valence is a nice touch in my opinion. The new bonnet line is very very good. Not so sure about the grill shape.

One thing I didn't know is that the LED front lights have been changed. The basic car doesn't have the halogen lights of the previous car. I've taken a pic of the new LED light pack and they aren't too bad.

Inside, it appears the same, no 4G for the UK yet and nothing mentioned in the brochure either. The MMI system looked the same, nothing visually updated in relation to the recent update to the A3. I tried loading some mp4's and mkv's, but the car refused to recognise those file types :-(

Lastly, the boot/trunk. I was worried that the old boot (510 litres) being shrunk down to 490 litres for diesel cars (520 for all the petrol models - NWB and LWB) would make a difference. Well, it's definitely deeper (about 8 or 9 cm), but as you can see from the pics, it becomes narrower near the back, a lot more than the old car.

It was embarrassing for the dealer, but I took my old "luggage pack" with me which just about fits into the old car and tried it in the new one. Whoops. As I said, really embarrassing. I tried it in the RSQ3 just behind this car for a laugh and that didn't find. We just about managed to get everything into a Q5 outside (thinking maybe an SQ5 then), but even that took 5 minutes to get it all in there in the right configuration.

Ho hum. The lesson is, the current car isn't so bad after all :-)

I'm sure a billion and one changes have been made under the skin, but not much is visible to us.

Guess the thread on the D5 will hot up over the next couple of years. I think Mr Hackenberg will do the A8 name proud. Time will tell.

Jet
Attached Images      
Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

more pics
Attached Images      
Old 01-18-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

and the old car with the luggage.

Maybe we should ask them for a custom luggage set it they want to sell us a car ??!! I've worked out it will cost about £750.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow... not sure I like the taillights at all after seeing them from the side.....
Might have to wait for the D5.

Thanks for the update !
Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

My thoughts too i.e possibly keep the D4 until the D5 and maybe look at the new Q7 in the meantime towards the end of 2014 with the virtual screen and few hundred kg's less to lug around. SQ7 diesel would do me fine until we decide to change the A6. Let' see.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

What the hell are those red things protruding from the rear of the car?
Wait, they must be the tail lights. NOT A FAN here.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not real crazy about this refresh--I like both the front and rear of the old style better. Anyone hear when the D5 will come out? I'll be looking to replace my '14 S8 in July, 2015.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree, like the styling of the current A8 better. Has more character and subtlety. The trunk issue is somewhat humorous as the implication was the new one would hold more luggage, golf bags, etc. but apparently that is not the case. Actually, custom luggage is not a bad idea. We bought the Porsche luggage to fit our Boxster when new and it has worked perfectly. There is even a Porsche golf bag that will fit the rear trunk!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Having seen a number of "refresh" photos, I think the exterior is fine to my eye. Will know better after seeing the car in person. As Jet said, these cars tend not to photograph well. Certainly doesn't offend me in the pics enough to wait another 3 years for the D5---Life is too short :-). Bottom line: it's all subjective and folks will spend their money accordingly.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True, I may have gone "Ewwwww" prematurely.
Do like the overall styling and they are in fact difficult to photograph.

Need to see one in person.

Quick Reply: A8 PI pics and first impression