S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi S4/B8 "wa" "wa" noise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4/B8 "wa" "wa" noise...

Looking for some help here,

I recently purchased a 2010 Audi S4 with 66k miles on it. It is the dual clutch automatic that has a Stassis Stage 1 ECU tune and Milltek exhaust. Of course I didn't notice any issues when I test drove it, but sure enough as soon as I left the lot I noticed a noise that is consistent with speed and is the loudest between 10-45 MPH and starts to fade into the background after that. The noise is faint and with the windows down or the radio on it is very hard to pick up. However, the actual noise is hard to describe but the best term I can think of it like a "wa" "wa" "wa" noise (25-45)that increases in frequency with speed and sort of has a growling sound at slower speeds (10-25). I can also feel the vibration in my left resting foot every frequency of the sound.

The test that I have run myself are the following:

1. In neutral; the sound is still the same with no change.
2. Going around a sharp left bend; the sound gets louder
3. Going around a sharp right bend; the sound gets almost unnoticeable but still there.
4. Driving straight and braking slowly to a stop the sound still remains constant but just decreased to the growling noise mentioned above.
5. In the passenger seat the sound it harder to pick up on and has less vibration on the feet.
6. Backing into a parking space by cranking the wheel I have heard some "clicking" noise but it is not consistent.
7. Drove 10-15 minutes felt wheel hub on both front wheels and just a luke warm, nothing hot.
8. Inspected for excessive play in the wheel and nothing all around.
9. Drivers side axle has minimum play at the transmission and zero play at the wheel.
10. Passenger side has minimum play at the transmission and at the wheel both.

So, what does everything think? My description is consistent with a wheel bearing when going around sharp bends, but I cant figure out why it is most noticeable at lower speeds?? My experience with bearings in the past has been a howling noise that goes in and out at fast speeds. The "clicking" noise makes me think cv joint/axle. I am just stumped. Any information or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sad new Audi S4 owner :/
Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Can you jack it up with the car in neutral and give the wheel a good spin manually to see if you can hear anything. My guess is that with 66k miles, it's a wheel bearing. Running any spacers? Let us know what you find!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have jacked the car up and gave both front wheels a good spin and whatever it is doesn't sound to be audible enough to be distinguish over the swishing of the pads and rotors. I think that I hear something ever so slightly on the left front, but it is just too hard to tell. No spacers, just stock 19" Audi rims. Last night I rotated the tires to eliminate the possibility of it being a bad tire and the noise is still present. Also, I forgot to mention the tires are brand new with less than 2k miles. Continental DWS.

If the noise fades when turning to the right, does that mean it is the left or right wheel bearing? I have found conflicting arguments online. Or should I just replace both? I have done brakes but never wheel bearings.....any special tools that I will need besides a torque wrench?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to replace one, I would replace both. I have replaced a single wheel hub on my truck and within 6 months I was replacing the second one. Alldatadiy has the procedures on it. I looked it up and it only mentioned torque wrenches. It mentions upper control arm joint pins and a bolt...but it doesn't list a part number for them, so I am not sure what exactly they are.

If you can, get the whole unit so you don't have to overhaul the unit. I haven't looked into ordering the part, but hopefully it comes as a unit unless you have the tools to press the bearing in and out.

I know the instructions have you remove the drive axle, (which has you disconnect the upper control arms) but I haven't looked to see if you can get to the bolts on the back side without removing the axle. I was able to get to the bolts on my truck without removing the drive axle..
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM

These threads may be helpful:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...wheel-bearing?

Here's the DIY (for a B7 RS4 though should be similar?):

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ng-replacement

Last edited by GUEST123; 04-08-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammi20
I have jacked the car up and gave both front wheels a good spin and whatever it is doesn't sound to be audible enough to be distinguish over the swishing of the pads and rotors.

If the noise fades when turning to the right, does that mean it is the left or right wheel bearing? I have found conflicting arguments online. Or should I just replace both? I have done brakes but never wheel bearings.....any special tools that I will need besides a torque wrench?
A bad bearing will make more noise when more weight is on it. Yours is making noise during a left turn. That points to the right front bearing.

Next time your wheel is in the air, grab the spring when you are turning the wheel. If the bearing is bad, you can feel it thumping in the spring.

I do not replace both bearings. Some will last much longer than others. The bad bearing will start making noise during turns. It will very gradually start making noise when going straight. It might take months to get to that point so you don't have to be in a rush to get it changed.

I haven't changed a Audi bearing so I don't know of any special tools that you might need. Some bearings are bolted in, some are pressed in. You probably will need a torque wrench and large socket for the axle nut. They can sometimes be rented at the parts stores. A Harbor Freight 1/2" drive electric impact gun is handy for those stubborn bolts.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car goes into the Audi dealer tomorrow. I was planning to replace the wheel bearings myself until I started to notice a clicking noise when making sharp turns sitting still or even driving forward and reverse. It is not faint noise either, it is def noticeable. I am predicting drive axle(s). I will keep everyone posted on what the dealer says.....
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got a call from the Audi Dealer. The popping noise they are telling me is a bad steering rack, but are having trouble pinpointing the "wa" "wa" noise. They are blaming it on the tires, but I know 100 percent that isn't it. i can literally feel the vibration at certain speeds :\ Any thoughts? Quote for the new steering rack was 2200 bucks!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All, just an update. The dealer replaced the steering rack. The s4 steers like a brand new car now and no popping noises. However, the wa wa noise that I am getting.....they were unable to locate and it is still there. Only thing they said is that cv axles, boots, and suspension all checked out ok. 3 wheel bearing are whisper quite, but the front right bearing sounds a little louder than the other 3. They said it was very faint and not a "smoking gun" and didn't recommend replacing it unless the noise I am hearing gets worse.

Not sure what to do, I am a little OCD so it drives me crazy. Sometimes the noise is loud and I can feel a vibration in my feet. Other times I can hardly hear it at all. I plan to replace the front right bearing myself to see if that resolves the issue.....stay tuned
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad to read that at least part of your issue was resolved. Keep us informed about the bearing replacement - take some pics and create a DIY guide perhaps...

Quick Reply: Audi S4/B8 "wa" "wa" noise...