Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi - Winter Wheel and Tire - SQ5 for $3360

Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1200 for my Q5 (not SQ5) winter set up, installed, at a local tire place -- Momo 17" wheels with Michelin X-Ice2 Xi2 winter tires. Admittedly, 18-20" set ups will be a bit more expensive. Sure, you can spend the money on OEM set up, but why? The winter wheels *will* take a beating (esp. around here in CO).
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

anyone have experience with any Alzor Wheels from ECS? Might get a set for the winter.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ddmahase
anyone have experience with any Alzor Wheels from ECS? Might get a set for the winter.
The only experience I have so far is it took ECS less than 24-hrs to ship to my door. They were very well packaged and once received I mounted my winter tires and test fitted them on my Q5. I like the fact that there is no need for a center ring since the diameter of the center bore is that of OEM. For under $500 shipped to my door i'm not complaining...especially for winter wheels.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redknight
I live by lake michigan... We get pretty good snow consistently during peak winter...

I have read some really good pointers that will help me make a decision... I was thinking about OEM as this is my first winter setup... I don't have the experience with buying rims...

Appreciate all the feedback!

Cheers
RK
Just so you know OEM wheels are a lot stronger then aftermarket wheels. that's why some buyers prefer OEM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Just so you know OEM wheels are a lot stronger then aftermarket wheels. that's why some buyers prefer OEM.
Not all "aftermarket" wheels are created equal. How about a set of VMR, forged BBS, etc.? That's a pretty sweeping statement, which IMO is inaccurate. In 25+ years of driving I've never bent or broken a wheel.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Not all "aftermarket" wheels are created equal. How about a set of VMR, forged BBS, etc.? That's a pretty sweeping statement, which IMO is inaccurate. In 25+ years of driving I've never bent or broken a wheel.
Lucky you, or perhaps Alberta has some lovely roads. In my relatively short 20+ years I've bent over half a dozen wheels. Most were reputable aftermarket wheels with the exception of my '07 titanium package wheels which must have been made of some type of tin foil they bent so easily.

BTW Daytona is one of my favorite colors.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I never said "ALL"

if you were to have an "accident" slamming into a curb/pot hole im sure it will crack. And your talking about BBS, those cost you an arm and a leg. owning a BBS rim will make you drive slow. im sure you can google bent BBS rims will show you if they are really strong or not. OEM wheels will take more beating than aftermarket wheels can.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Lucky you, or perhaps Alberta has some lovely roads. In my relatively short 20+ years I've bent over half a dozen wheels. Most were reputable aftermarket wheels with the exception of my '07 titanium package wheels which must have been made of some type of tin foil they bent so easily.

BTW Daytona is one of my favorite colors.
finally someone knows too. this why I stopped going for aftermarket wheels. 1. they cost too much 2. they are not built for daily drive. if I was driving like a granny then ya I would have some balling rims. Wheels nowadays are not as strong as it use to be. Due to tough market everything is going to cheap on the quality to save $$$.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
finally someone knows too. this why I stopped going for aftermarket wheels. 1. they cost too much 2. they are not built for daily drive. if I was driving like a granny then ya I would have some balling rims. Wheels nowadays are not as strong as it use to be. Due to tough market everything is going to cheap on the quality to save $$$.
Are you on some strong medication? It's fine if you want OEM wheels but don't try to justify it with such awful claims stating that all wheels aren't as strong as they used to be. Get what works for you.

I don't drive like a granny and our roads are decent but I've never bent a wheel in my 16 years of driving
Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm starting to see this thread drifting towards a lack of civility. It's ok to disagree and voice a different point of view but please dispense with any personal, derisive comments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi - Winter Wheel and Tire - SQ5 for $3360