TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Temp Sensor Replacement 2004 TT 3.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Sensor Replacement 2004 TT 3.2L

Any tips or suggestions to make this a little easier? I haven't had any error codes, but my temp gauge on the dash is intermittent. I have read up a bit and found that the senors frequently are the culpret.

I think I have it located at the front of the engine directly below the oil fill. It's pretty tight. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am trying to confirm the location of the Temp Sensor. I think it is under the lift ring on the driver side of the engine. It hard to see but I took a pic and there is a hard to see black ring around where I think it is.

If anybody could confirm I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes this is the Temp Sensor on the Audi TT Mk1 3.2 V6. I've just changed mine and it was a right pain, allow at least one hour!

I removed the battery cover (where the battery isn't) and the front right engine bay trim (as you look from the front).

I was then able to flick off the retaining clip with a screwdriver and then pull the sensor out.

Be aware that about 1 gallon of coolant will poor out of the hole, so you will need some more antifreeze to top up later!

Remove the sensor from the plug using a screw driver to push and unlock the connector.

I then replaced the sensor and made sure the old rubber o-ring wasn't still in the hole (Mine was, so I used an allen key to pries it out). I put the new o-ring on the sensor and with a bit of effort got it back in position.

Now the fun starts - replacing the retaining clip!

In the end the solution was to use a long cable tie fastened tight on the top of the clip to get into position. I was then able to push it down into place with my fingers. I cut off the excess of the cable tie and this left a tap still on the clip which I'm going to leave as it will make it easier to remove I if goes again.

Remember to top up the coolant and run it up to temperature to check for leaks etc.

Have fun..
Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh yeah! It was a real joy. There just isn't much room for fingers when you are putting the replacement clip back in. Another tip. Tie a piece of thread to the new clip. The first time the clip popped off and went god knows where. Had to go to Audi for another.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lofquist
Any tips or suggestions to make this a little easier? I haven't had any error codes, but my temp gauge on the dash is intermittent. I have read up a bit and found that the senors frequently are the culpret.

I think I have it located at the front of the engine directly below the oil fill. It's pretty tight. Any suggestions appreciated.
when i did mine u just removed the whole thermostat assembly. i had removed the temp sensor and couldn't get the clip on so i just took it out and then put the clip in.