Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 S5 amp and sub install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomorro

After cruising the internet, and doing a bit of research, I have decided to install (have someone install) the sub in my car.

I am installing a JL10W7 in a sealed box (more of a SQ guy than SPL) with a HD750/1 to push it. All said and done, should total ab $1200 bucks with everything new. I will post pics tom, but I am looking forward to having the bass rockin as I hit that 155 speed limiter

This should be a professional install, so hopefully itll be helpful to anyone looking for more pics (in addition to elf_cruisers good looking setup)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Am going to do 2x10W6v2 myself in custom sealed enclosures on either side of the trunk walls. I'd like your opinon on the W7's. They are just so damn deep. Waiting for Audison to do this BitOne update so the unit will work with the 3G MMI. For those of you wanting one, It works with the 2G MMI.

Last edited by Q; 03-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man, the sub sounds great, I got the sealed enclosure, so its a tight bass, and it truly doenst sit too far in the trunk at all. The specs for the sealed enclosure are on the JL website, I would encourage you to look at em and then do a bit of measuring in your trunk ,it fits like a glove in the back corner (back of sub at back of the seat). I can still get 2 sets of golf clubs in my trunk, and have it pound. Also, you can set a HD750/1 sub right underneath the factory subwoofer, so all you see is the sub box, nothing else obstructs the trunk...

Sounds fantastic, has enough SPL to shake the car as much as Id need, and enough snappiness to keep up with my techno. I got everything done for about $1100 bucks) (400 for amp shipped) (500 for box and sub shipped) like 200 for install.

I was between this and an exhaust, and frankly, im happier with this (since you couldnt ever hear both)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rbeal
Man, the sub sounds great, I got the sealed enclosure, so its a tight bass, and it truly doenst sit too far in the trunk at all. The specs for the sealed enclosure are on the JL website, I would encourage you to look at em and then do a bit of measuring in your trunk ,it fits like a glove in the back corner (back of sub at back of the seat). I can still get 2 sets of golf clubs in my trunk, and have it pound. Also, you can set a HD750/1 sub right underneath the factory subwoofer, so all you see is the sub box, nothing else obstructs the trunk...

Sounds fantastic, has enough SPL to shake the car as much as Id need, and enough snappiness to keep up with my techno. I got everything done for about $1100 bucks) (400 for amp shipped) (500 for box and sub shipped) like 200 for install.

I was between this and an exhaust, and frankly, im happier with this (since you couldnt ever hear both)
Any photos of the install? I am interested in how it was wired. Did you just keep your B&O setup and add the bass - I bet that sounds pretty good because all the B&O needs is a little more thump? Did you keep the stock subs hooked up or did you disconnect them?

Thnks
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm interested in this as well. I have the B&O system and want to use my old sub with it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto - i'd like to see how the pros did it, and change my setup if there's a better way to do it...

With the 10 - I bet you can still open the trunk floor and get the spare out, huh? I took mine out with the tools and will just throw it in the trunk for road trips - no need having it in town (AAA card can get me home).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Still trying to put something together for mine when it comes. Plan to keep the stock speakers, at least at first except for the subs. Gonna do two JL Audio 10W6v2's. Gonna replace the amps and am trying to figger out exactly how many hoops I'm gonna have to jump through to do this Audison Bit1 thing.. Plan to Bi-amp the front doors, one channel to center, two to rears and two mono subs=eight channels.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

What size are the stock B&O drivers 5.25, 6.5? tweets?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q
What size are the stock B&O drivers 5.25, 6.5? tweets?
Might be able to make the assumption that some of the gear in the S5 is the same as the Q7 -

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...__olufsen.html

Also - with the Audison configuration that you described, you'll have some dead speakers, which may really affect the clarity of the system. The B&O has bass drivers and tweets in the front doors, mids in the dash and rear deck, and another set of bass and tweets in the rear side panels, all in addition to the sub channel. I would wait til you get the car before you start planning out the stereo. I'm a pro drummer with a lot of studio time, stage time, and hearing loss, especially in the higher frequency ranges above 5Khz, and I still keep the treble setting reasonable, and full vol in this system is pretty much loud enough. I wouldn't want it much louder even if money was no object. It could be cleaner, but it's really splitting hairs at some point. This B&O is good enough to require SACD or other hidef media before you really hear the imperfections in the system. CDA or MP3 is no contest for the B&O ... It makes MP3's sound like the junk that they really are...

Last edited by elf_cruiser; 03-29-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by elf_cruiser
Might be able to make the assumption that some of the gear in the S5 is the same as the Q7 -

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...__olufsen.html

Also - with the Audison configuration that you described, you'll have some dead speakers, which may really affect the clarity of the system. The B&O has bass drivers and tweets in the front doors, mids in the dash and rear deck, and another set of bass and tweets in the rear side panels, all in addition to the sub channel. I would wait til you get the car before you start planning out the stereo. I'm a pro drummer with a lot of studio time, stage time, and hearing loss, especially in the higher frequency ranges above 5Khz, and I still keep the treble setting reasonable, and full vol in this system is pretty much loud enough. I wouldn't want it much louder even if money was no object. It could be cleaner, but it's really splitting hairs at some point. This B&O is good enough to require SACD or other hidef media before you really hear the imperfections in the system. CDA or MP3 is no contest for the B&O ... It makes MP3's sound like the junk that they really are...
I agree the MP3 is junk quality. I just bought my first Ipod Classic because it holds 160GB so I can rip my CD collection to lossless format. This produces CD quality sound which is far superior to MP3, although it uses about 10x the amount of storage (about 0.5GB per CD) - hence the Ipod Classic for the Audi glove box.

Having listened to the B&O system in my new S5 for the past couple of weeks, I have come to the conclusion that all it really needs is a subwoofer to fill in the lows. The sound quality at higher frequencies is quite good - very clear while listening to CD quality files. Having gone from a car that had a professionally installed, high quality system, there is a definite loss in sound quality in the B&O, but I'm pretty sure it's only due to the lack of a powerfull subwoofer.

I just need to figure out the cleanest way to do the install.

Quick Reply: 2010 S5 amp and sub install write-up