A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacing rear deck speakers with subwoofers HELP

Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if i wanted more subs...

What would i need if i wanted to buy two 6.5 inch subs for the rear deck and then wanted to buy one or two 12 inch subs for in the trunk? would i need two amps? Also, i do not know my radio code, so assuming that i did hook up the amp to the battery, i would need to find out a radio code as well right?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default radio code is a goodt hing to know, you can get it.....

at the dealer but it will cost you, i'm not that familiar with that stuff, you might want to ask some other guys on here, if you want 2 12's, you'd want much more power, most people do a multi channel amy to there speeks and a 2 channel amp to there subs........ it's all about how much power you want, the nicer the amp, the nicer the sound you get, bottom line.......if you get a multi channel, it will ahve to be BIG POWER to power 4 subs....might want to look into some dynomat as well down the road, you wouldent NEED 2 amps, but it would be a good idea, with all that power comming off your battery, when your base hits yuor headlights may dim....may want to look into another battery for your subs, what exactly do you want, and i'll help you out, 4 subs total? 2 replaing the rear speakers? your going to have a lot of bass compared to a small amount of music
Old 06-22-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: radio code is a goodt hing to know, you can get it.....

I am emailing you from my other email address lazumi01@gettysburg.edu thanks for your help
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Overall Here is what I want to do

Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

I have the 1998 a4 witht he bose sound system. I have ripped the rubber parts of the woofers in the rear deck and was looking to replace them and I found the "Fixing Bass Boominess" guide on the tech articles. I was going to do this, it seems reasonable like 30 bucks for two speakers, but then I saw the "Fixing Bass Boominess II" guide where the guys said that the original guide's speakers cut out too much bass. I am a fan of big bass, I listen to a large amount of rap and I want to be able to get a nice kick out of my woofers. I don't need 15s or anything like that, but I really want to make a nice sounding system.

Since the 6.5 inch woofers in the read deck are shot, I could possible replace those with more powerful ones that are 6.5 inches and put them in there and connect them to a low powered amp. Any suggestions for these? or the amp?

Also, I could just take these out and buy a couple 10 inch subs to put int he trunk and allow the bass to flow into the cabin through the spot where the speakers were.

Or, I could buy two nice 6.5 inch woofers and maybe one 10 or 8 inch woofer for the back and connect them to an amp.

I am very new to this and I am just looking for some advice to get me started, I dont want to get taken advantage of by the people at best buy or circuit city and you seem like you know a lot.

One thing that I want to maintain is the stock bose headunit. I like the way it looks in the car and want to keep it when i buy these subs. Also, i heard that if you replace the bose amp in the back then you have to replace the speakers too? If this is true then I would need another amp to power more powerful woofers as well as the bose amp to power the regular speakers in the door and stuff. right?

Thanks a lot for you help.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default here is what i would do.....

I am also a fan of bass, and listen to a lot of rap music....however, you are giong to have some times where you want to listen to your music without the bass. What I would do is replace the bose speakers with 6x9's, in the back, and put 2 subs in the trunk. You will get more bass then you can imagine, so i'd replace your blown speakers with some new ones, wahtever kinda speakrs you are into depending on your budget, then i'd buy a 2 channel amp, and 2 subs, 2 12's if you wnat louder bass, 2 10's if if you want a faster hitting bass. You can pull the power off the battery, and the noise off your back 2 speakers. depending on what kinda subs, and waht kinda amp, you get you will need to buy a wiring kit, if i were you, i would buy these things

1. wiring kid, 8 gauge possibly? depending how much power you have
2. 2 subs, 10's or 12's, i had 12's and you could hear them a mile away out of my trunk, i think now that i'm older (21), i'd go for 2 10's
3. 2 channel amp, somewhere from 600-1200 watt's depending on how much wattage your subs put out
4. either build your own custom box, or buy one they are usually 100-200 dollars depending on how nice you want....

lastly, are you going to be installing this by yourself? if so, the good news is that you can pull off your back speakers, the bad news is that you will need to pwoer your amp from the battery, which is probably the hardest part

As for having 4 subs, i don't think you need that, if you want a stock radio, with a little bit more bass, then just add the 2 subs like you were going to, if you want some good sound, add 2 new 6x9's in the back for music quality, and hook them up to the factory amp, and add 2 subs for your bass

i am at work so i can't check my email until later tonight
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default replace the back speakers with some alpines or kickers, or whatever. then get subs....more

nothing is worse than listening to music..well bass and not hearing any words. with some good 6.5 inch speakers in the back they will give you some nice mid range sound. with subs they will give you the lows. your front speakers are pretty good and they will handle the hi's. i personally have a set of component speakers in the front and back. and 1 10inch sub in a sealed box. when people hear it they are amazed at the balance. you want to have a good balance between bass mid and hi. for your subs you should have a mono amp. if you go with 2 subs and they are dual voice coil. if that, you would need a 2 channel. but if you go with 2 subs, single voice coil, or 1 sub, dual voice coil then you can get a mono block amp and run it a 2 ohms. (louder) and get either a 4 channel or 2 channel amp for you speakers. your front speakers can handle some good power too.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: here is what i would do.....

The thing is, is that the speakers int eh back on the rear deck are 6.5 in diameter, so it would be relaly hard to fit 6x9s in there. Also, the read deck speakers only produce bass. And i would be installing this by myself so maybe instead of wiring them to the battery under the hood i should just buy a new battery and store it int he trunk? or mayeb this wouldnt work cause i would still have to connect it to the main battery.

basically waht is comes down to is will a set of 6.5 inch woofers int he back powered by the bose amp, or a other more powerful amp be enough for the bass that I want. I want some bass but probable not as much as two 12's or tens.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: here is what i would do.....

if you get an amp, and fire in those 6.5 subs from the link you sent me, then yes, you will get more bass........as for without an amp, i'm not 100% sure, only fear i would have is that those speakers pump out music as well,y our subs won't, so you will see increase bass, less music, amp or no amp, that is your decision, i'd go amp, because you can get one cheep and nice if it's just for those 2 subs, this wouldent cause any harm that your battery couldent handle, it's when you get into 2+ aftermarket amps you may need an additonal battery
Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Thanks, here is what ill probably do

Thanks a lot for your help. Ill probably go buy those 6.5 inch ones i sent u the link to or a more powerful pair and then see how they sound with the bose amp in there, and if i want more, ill jsut buy an Amp and then rewire them.

one last question...
if my speakers have an RMS of say 150 W, but the amp can only put out 30W, i wont blow out the amp or speakers will I? cause i think that this is going to be the case. Also when i get the speakers do I want more oHms or less oHms. and what affect does the ohms have, the impedance.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default not sure about ohms, but......

amps have the ability to be turned up or down, you don't want to max out your amp, usually about 1/2 way is where i have mine, that given, you just won't be getting the full power out of the speakers that they are capable of