TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Sealed battery? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed battery? Really?

Sorry, experts, for my ignorance, but I've never seen a truly sealed car battery, so I don't know if it is or not. The car is a 2002 TT 1.8 with 110,000 miles. This is only the second battery, and was installed by the Audi dealer about four years ago. This was my wife's car, bought new in October 2001, and she always had it serviced by the dealer. Now she drives a Ford Explorer (go figure) and handed this down to me.

Since the car will mostly just sit in the garage, I bought a battery maintainer. I thought I'd top off the battery while installing it, and I encountered this seemingly sealed battery. The pic attached shows a raised portion where the caps would normally be. There is a kind of seam about 1/4" from the top. I pried lightly with a screwdriver, but it didn't seem movable, and I was hesitant to try much harder. Should I?

Is there really a sealed car battery? No way to add water? Thanks for holding the flames.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamB
Sorry, experts, for my ignorance, but I've never seen a truly sealed car battery, so I don't know if it is or not. The car is a 2002 TT 1.8 with 110,000 miles. This is only the second battery, and was installed by the Audi dealer about four years ago. This was my wife's car, bought new in October 2001, and she always had it serviced by the dealer. Now she drives a Ford Explorer (go figure) and handed this down to me.

Since the car will mostly just sit in the garage, I bought a battery maintainer. I thought I'd top off the battery while installing it, and I encountered this seemingly sealed battery. The pic attached shows a raised portion where the caps would normally be. There is a kind of seam about 1/4" from the top. I pried lightly with a screwdriver, but it didn't seem movable, and I was hesitant to try much harder. Should I?

Is there really a sealed car battery? No way to add water? Thanks for holding the flames.
Sealed batteries are pretty much the norm nowadays, they are all made by johnson anyway except for Optima.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Will, welcome aboard! That battery looks old.

The traditional fill caps may lay under that long blue/white sticker. You can lift the sticker and see if the caps are there.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed Battery

Yes thats sealed, you dont need to top them up , if you have a good battery charger /conditioner you should be ok , plus a good conditioner will tell you if it to bad to charge.
If you dont drive the car that often get a solar charger, leave it connected to the battery it will keep your battery toped up.