Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 w/ factory tow hitch, looking for a picture

Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 w/ factory tow hitch, looking for a picture

Provided I order a MY13 Q5, I am interested in their tow hitch. Does anybody have a picture they can share? I am interested if the rear bumper is cut or if mounted just below. This would be used to support a rear mounted bike rack. Thanks.

Regards,
NHman
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 AM
12 year Audi owner

I don't have a picture to share right now but I can tell you a bit about having the hitch installed. There is a plate on the bottom of the bumper held in place by three tabs and two screws. When I had my hitch installed (after purchase) the plate was removed and the hitch descends down through the opening.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. There is an outline on the back of that plate which is how it should be cut to go back on after hitch installation. The outline exposing an opening for the hitch itself and the electrical connector off to the left. Apparently some (if not most) dealers are not aware of this cutout pattern. I took the plate back to the dealer and had them cutout along that outline. The plate went back on and the installation looks much cleaner now.

Since the hitch descends down through the opening you can't really see much of the opening unless you are down low. Overall it is very unobtrusive.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
Provided I order a MY13 Q5, I am interested in their tow hitch. Does anybody have a picture they can share? I am interested if the rear bumper is cut or if mounted just below. This would be used to support a rear mounted bike rack. Thanks.

Regards,
NHman
Look here
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2798601
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2759612
http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-tow-h...unset-imports/
http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-tow-h...ports-service/
Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The "Factory" hitch is not actually installed at the factory. It is installed at the port when your car arrives in the U.S. I ordered my Q5 with the factory hitch and when I picked it up in Ingolstadt, it did not yet have the hitch installed. When it arrived at the dealer for final delivery, the hitch was installed.

The bumper is cut to accommodate the hitch and the electrical plug. I'll try to post a picture of mine later today. It is Class 2 hitch (2-inch square receptacle).
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are some pics of mine:

Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
The bumper is cut to accommodate the hitch and the electrical plug. I'll try to post a picture of mine later today. It is Class 2 hitch (2-inch square receptacle).
Reggie's pics suffice. Mine looks just like that.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Reggie - great detail in the photos. Exactly what I'm looking to do with mine but with a 4 bike carrier. Anyone have any thoughts about how this might affect re-sale - the thought being that the hitch is not for towing (at least by me) just for use with a bike carrier?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
12 year Audi owner

OK, I can't let that stand. Here are a couple of photos of my trailer hitch with the cover plate cut and reinstalled.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you to all the posted a response. The pictures showing the rear bumper was exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't look bad with the hitch. Yes, cleaner without but I need function over form.

Regards,
NHman
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks a lot better than my MDX did with a trailer hitch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 w/ factory tow hitch, looking for a picture