S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

RS4 grill for b8.5 s4

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B85S4
Can I order just ring holder from you my last set did not fit well and I want to glue it on this time.
Unfortunately we do not have the ring holder available separately.

Jason
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 734jeant
Just got mine installed. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Did you add a black grill mesh behind your grill? It looks alot cleaner than some I've seen.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree. That black mesh makes a HUGE difference. Saw an S4 at the dealership this past weekend and it did not have any mesh...it looked horrible as you could see straight through the honeycomb.

Not attractive...it almost looked like it had no grill...as there was very little contrast...the mesh makes the grill "stand out".
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the positive feedback. Yes, I added the black screening behind the grill. I also painted the crash bar black.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my grille on Thursday and installed it today.

Positive Comments:
Packaging was perfect and professionally done.
Fit and finish was again, perfect.
Instructions were near perfect but not quite. Anyone that's handy and would tackle this job won't care.
Assembly of factory parts was near perfect and clean.

Negative Comments:
Assembly of factory parts was near perfect and clean. (damn near impossible to take apart)
Getting factory rings out was a pain. Would have preferred replacement rings.
Black flimsy cover can be left out. It's on my car now but will be coming off and the bumper will be painted.
Supply a mount of a kind to re-install the S4 badging. If you make one, allow us that have the kit to buy it.

Pics to come.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

RC, I'm glad you were able to get the grille and you're absolutely correct with that feedback. I look forward to those pics man!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wanted to post this on this thread because I think that it would get the most exposure with people looking at your install pics.

I was thinking about taking my fresh install and modifying it already.
What I want to do is mark the profile of the ring holder and remove the mesh in that shape. Then I want to recess the ring holder into the mesh so it doesn't stick out so much. Looking at the OEM rings it seems like they set in more.

The thing I want to pick everyone's brain about is what to hold it in there with. JBWeld for plastic? Super glue?
The JBWeld will need to be painted since it will dry off white according to the packaging.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CaseyS4
Yes...there clearly can be a difference of opinion here...and it just comes down to personal choice.

I know there are many mods etc. even the SC badges on my S4 are a "mod".

However, there are certain features that become a "hall mark" for that particular model of car and we know them well:

>The M with 3 stripes on any BMW M car
>Vents with M logo on certain M cars (e.g., E46 M3)

and now....yes...

>Honeycomb grills on RS models

So you are not just doing a mod...we all know that people switch out rims...etc...what we are talking about is taking a "hall mark" feature from a "premium" class vehicle and putting it where it arguably does not belong.

I think we all laugh and chuckle when we see that guy with what is clearly a 335i driving around with an M badge stuck on his tail gate.

We all think to ourselves....poser.

So mod away....I say...but do not copy a "hall mark" feature of a premium brand like an M or an RS.

Because you take a beautiful thing like an S4 and turn it into a "wannabe" RS.
I don't agree with this statement, but this is my opinion. I bought a 2010 WRX STI but I hated the wing. So I took it off and put on the standard WRX wing. Its not that i was trying to be a poseur WRX driver, if anything, i had the higher performance car. I just didn't want one aesthetic part of the styling.

Much like my b8.5 s4. Love the car, just don't like the stock grille aesthetically, but I do like the style of the rs4 grille. The car is an s4 though.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So how does the mesh behind the grille affect the car's performance? Does it run hot? I love the look of the RS4 grille, but the honeycombs are pretty big. The screen cleans it up but I'm worried about how it will affect the car. I don't want it to overheat or lose power with the intercooler being right there at the bottom
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mayorofcoolcity
So how does the mesh behind the grille affect the car's performance? Does it run hot? I love the look of the RS4 grille, but the honeycombs are pretty big. The screen cleans it up but I'm worried about how it will affect the car. I don't want it to overheat or lose power with the intercooler being right there at the bottom
I have driven it a lot in our recent 105+ degree heat. One 3.5 hour trip south and back running A/C the whole time. No overheating problems that I was aware of, and I kept my eye on it.

Quick Reply: RS4 grill for b8.5 s4