S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

RS4 grill for b8.5 s4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is no RS4 in the US and in Europe the RS 4 is an estate...but they do have the RS5 in the US.

So here is where the "issue" comes in....I am at the light...I see your honeycomb grill facing me head on....I think cool...here comes an RS5....then as you come closer I get confused...like no its not an RS5 what is that...oh an S4 with an "RS" honeycomb grill.

As the observer....you feel "cheated"....you thought you were going to see a rare "RS"....but nope.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Casey, idk clearly our opinions differ. I respect it, but I have the grille and love it. That also means any person who buys rs style or any other style that isn't s4 style wheels are also violating this ideal. If you have any mods I'd like to see them, as they're probably different from any that I have done or will have done. I appreciate the honest feedback.

Jean,
The grille looks fantastic on your sepang s4. Nicely done as well!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did the screening behind the mesh come with?

If not where did you get it and what kind of screening is it? How is it attached? Thanks for any input as I am considering this mod.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't the peelers that come on the S4 originally RS6 wheels?

Question about the screening: it looks great when new but after awhile does it become a buggy mess that's impossible to clean?

Last edited by Toecutter; 09-06-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes...there clearly can be a difference of opinion here...and it just comes down to personal choice.

I know there are many mods etc. even the SC badges on my S4 are a "mod".

However, there are certain features that become a "hall mark" for that particular model of car and we know them well:

>The M with 3 stripes on any BMW M car
>Vents with M logo on certain M cars (e.g., E46 M3)

and now....yes...

>Honeycomb grills on RS models

So you are not just doing a mod...we all know that people switch out rims...etc...what we are talking about is taking a "hall mark" feature from a "premium" class vehicle and putting it where it arguably does not belong.

I think we all laugh and chuckle when we see that guy with what is clearly a 335i driving around with an M badge stuck on his tail gate.

We all think to ourselves....poser.

So mod away....I say...but do not copy a "hall mark" feature of a premium brand like an M or an RS.

Because you take a beautiful thing like an S4 and turn it into a "wannabe" RS.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People have been running RS parts on their Audi's for decades. I guess that's where the enthusiasts differ between brands.

It dates back to the B5 S4 - people would run the RS4 bumper on their S4's because aesthetically it's a much more aggressive bumper. It was also a "euro" part which was considered rare and very expensive. So it was looked at like an ultra mod only for the people that could afford it and giving it that cool factor.

If you're a true Audi enthusiast you'll know that there are VERY clear differences between an S4 and an RS5, there's even differences between an S4 bumper and an S5 bumper. So the only people that will feel "cheated" are the uninformed, anyone else that's not an Audi enthusiast or even a car enthusiast for that matter would hardly know the difference between an S model and an RS model anyways.

Mod your car to suite your own tastes not for what other people think, that's what makes the community so diverse.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 09-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pbudra15
Jean,
The grille looks fantastic on your sepang s4. Nicely done as well!
Thank you!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drew2.7T
If not where did you get it and what kind of screening is it? How is it attached? Thanks for any input as I am considering this mod.
The screening did not come with it.

Don@tapcoinc.net(in Mississippi)custom cut the screening and painted it flat black. It is house screening that is hurricane strength. He now has templates for both pre-facelift and facelift model S4s.

It is attached with pop rivets.

Do a search on Audizine for don@tapcoinc.net and you will find more info.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Question about the screening: it looks great when new but after awhile does it become a buggy mess that's impossible to clean?
It is house screening and washes off very easily with a hose.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 734jeant
It is house screening and washes off very easily with a hose.
Good to know, thanks. I'm thinking about getting the RS grill because it looks great (and I'm beyond caring if somebody else thinks I'm a poser). I like how the honeycomb looks consistent with the fog light surrounds.

Quick Reply: RS4 grill for b8.5 s4