S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Who do you have for your car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you have for your car insurance?

I called my auto insurer 21st Century today to increase my aftermarket coverage and was told that if certain modifications (lowering it, exhaust) were made to the vehicle that I would lose all coverage on the car.

I talked to Progressive and Geico but they only cover modifications up to $4k so I was wondering what company everyone uses to deal with these issues.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have AAA but haven't asked about mods as I don't have any yet. In curious to hear others experience a well. I would hate to get cancelled when I get the APR tune if they find out.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
I have AAA but haven't asked about mods as I don't have any yet. In curious to hear others experience a well. I would hate to get cancelled when I get the APR tune if they find out.
I wouldn't worry about a tune because it would be undetectable by an insurance adjuster. However something like an exhaust could be pretty obvious.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have AAA as well. back in maybe 07-08 I had a wreck in my 350z at the time. I damaged 2 19" volk racing TE37's, $4k aragosta coilovers and some body damage. AAA gave me 100% money for all my aftermarket mods as long as I provided them with invoices/proof of purchases. and I never insured the mods or told them I had anything until the date that I made a claim. I am very happy with them and continue to use them.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
I have AAA as well. back in maybe 07-08 I had a wreck in my 350z at the time. I damaged 2 19" volk racing TE37's, $4k aragosta coilovers and some body damage. AAA gave me 100% money for all my aftermarket mods as long as I provided them with invoices/proof of purchases. and I never insured the mods or told them I had anything until the date that I made a claim. I am very happy with them and continue to use them.
gieco
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
Thanks. I'll have to give them a call. Honestly I didn't even know that AAA sold insurance.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have GEICO and this is what my policy states:

- Physical damage coverage will not cover loss for custom options on an owned automobile, including equipment, furnishings or finishings including paint, if the existence of those options has not been previously reported to us. This reminder does NOT apply in VIRGINIA and NORTH CAROLINA. Please call us at 1-800-841-3000 or visit us
at geico.com if you have any questions.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Geico is who I have.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys,

Normally your insurance company will pay damage to items on the vehicle such as exhaust, wheels or other parts that help the vehicle run, stop or function properly. The definition of Mods in the insurance world usually pertains to extreme alterations of the vehicle from its stock form.

For example : AWE exhaust replacement vs. stock exhaust replacement due to wreck... The cost to the insurance company is essentially the same.... No big deal they will replace your AWE. Just make sure you have a good body shop that is willing to back you up if something gets sticky. I have never seen an issue with wheels, exhaust, intakes etc in claims. In some cases the custom part is cheaper to replace than the factory part... Insurance companies love this.

example 2 : Your custom wrap and fender flares that cost you 22K to make your car a vibrant orange widbody and the twin supercharger setup making 3000 horsepower- DENIED claim for the extra parts as the increased cost of repair was not contemplated in your standard coverage and premiums. The extra value significantly increases the exposure to the insurance company. If you have a significantly modified vehicle you need collector car coverage which will require you to list all mods and values to cover your baby. They usually restrict mileage due to the huge bill they are facing if you toss your car into a ditch.

I have been an insurance consultant for 7 years and in the industry for 16. I am happy to help anyone out with reading your policy or understanding coverage in more detail. Coverage varies so much state to state that it is hard to give really broad based answers. Some states may have an exclusion covering any mods... so if you are in one of those states then my advice above does not apply.... But in general I have not see quibbles during a claim form minor mods... Just the George Barris Kustom type jobs that were grossly underinsured.

Mike
Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI - I just got a quick quote from Geico to add coverage for my audio system. The premium went up $33 per 6 months.

Quick Reply: Who do you have for your car insurance?