Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Failed Smog :( (California)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failed Smog :( (California)

Hey guys recently went to smog my car and not only did i fail the emission part of the test but also the fuel Evap test. Seems like I have a leak somewhere from the fuel filter to the tank. Put it on the lift and it seems like its somewhere above the tank. Now the results for the emission part of the test showed that i failed at idle/low rpms but passed at high rpms. While we were under the car my brother banged on one of my cats and it sounded hollow and rattled (not good). My Mechanic friend also pulled up some codes and checked my mixture readings at idle, cruise and boost and wasn't at the levels they should be (high at idle/low rpms, too low on cruise and boost). He thinks my MAF is toast. Any thoughts guys? Or better question anyone have a functioning MAF and/or Catalytic Converter they would like to sell to me? If i cant find these parts for cheap might just try to sell my car as a parts car
Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps check hoses on top of the gas tank in the back of the trunk. Follow that to a filter behind the front passenger wheel, which can come lose. Check PCV system, and the "tee" hose for holes under the intake manifold. Here's a diagram. You're more likely to find a used MAF for sale on a different site.
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I have checked the tee hose and it seems fine. I'm not to worried about buying a new MAF. What im really worried about is having to spend $950 for a new cat. Most likely going to try to fit in a universal Cat on my exhaust. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Originally Posted by GoHeels
Perhaps check hoses on top of the gas tank in the back of the trunk. Follow that to a filter behind the front passenger wheel, which can come lose. Check PCV system, and the "tee" hose for holes under the intake manifold. Here's a diagram. You're more likely to find a used MAF for sale on a different site.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Super late update, but I Passed Smog!!!. Replaced one of my cats with a magnaflow universal unit which saved me several hundreds of dollars. Found that the small vapor hose on top of gas tank and under the rear passenger side wheel were both crusty/brittle which caused me to fail the Fuel evap test. Replaced my pcv valve and neighboring hoses. I also created my own 3 way vacuum hose which connects the FPR, intake manifold and purge valve. No more missing/cutting out under WOT (tested several times). Those who are having that hard miss/cut off at WOT inspect that hose carefully along with pcv valve/surrounding hoses. Still have a few things on the list that need to be checked off but i believe i have fixed all vacuum leaks. Of course all these fixes were courtesy of searching the forum. Will post pics soon to show the shape of the old hoses and new hoses.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal.