A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to get that showroom finish on a black car???

Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

My wife and daughters laugh at me when I wash the car and then dry it with the leaf blower. I think that I may have OCD when it comes to my car.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hear u brother. my wife thinks im nuts. outside in a full parka with a skull cap freezing my a@$ off lol
Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rgarretson
Anybody have a suggestion for a great swirl/scratch removal product to make Black look new again?
I used to own two body shops and I have a beautiful jet black A6. You'll probably have to use some type of clearcoat safe polish & swirl remover first like Meguiars Swirl X Swirl Remover or what most body shops use 3M Automotive Glaze-Dark(3M 39809) and then a good coat of wax... two coats for super max effect.

The wax I always use is a wax that they used to only sell at car shows. You can find it online or find it on ebay. I just call and order it factory direct (their phone number is on the back of their bottle 1-800-678-1547). It's pink and it's called Liquid Lustre.

It's easy on, easy off, doesn't leave that hard white residue in cracks or on edges and it is the real deal show car mirror shine. Lasts well too. They say 6 months. I do a double coat only once a year and love the look the whole 12 months.

Do both steps and then only hand wash with car wash soap (never use dish liquid it strips wax) and you'll be fine...

Last edited by Raider1; 01-23-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys, with regard to using Zaino on a black car, specifically the A6...you MUST use the ZXF additive for protection. Here in NY, Zaino worked great, but did NOT last too long with the pollution. My Black Corvette was fine, since it was garages, my ML55 was ok after a few months, but the 2005 A6's hood was oxidized every month following layers of ZAIO and Clear Seal. I was able to double the protection and shine by using the ZFX additive along with the All in One, and Z2 polishes.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

By using the ZFX additive, and finishing the car off with the clear seal, the finish on my dark blue 05 4.2 remains show room quality for several months, even though it is left in the New York outdoors.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

ur right bro..i use the zfx every time. except with the clear seal. i havent used the z2 or z5 in a few months. sticking with the clear seal til the weather breaks.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For cold weather, I'd highly recommend ONR (http://www.detailersdomain.com/optim...c-norinse.aspx) Optimum no Rinse. It is absolutely amazing - shine comes out better than regular carwash and you can use some hot water in a bucket in the cold. No hose required. Try it and I bet you will become a fan for life!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
For cold weather, I'd highly recommend ONR (http://www.detailersdomain.com/optim...c-norinse.aspx) Optimum no Rinse. It is absolutely amazing - shine comes out better than regular carwash and you can use some hot water in a bucket in the cold. No hose required. Try it and I bet you will become a fan for life!!
ive used optimum before and its awsome...thanks for reminding me..just ordered a gallon
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinGary
By using the ZFX additive, and finishing the car off with the clear seal, the finish on my dark blue 05 4.2 remains show room quality for several months, even though it is left in the New York outdoors.
Interesting. I used the Zaino everything, including the seal for 2 years, and didn't find it very good. Esp for bird crap. The Swissvax has been more effective IMO, plus gives it a much deeper shine.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Interesting. I used the Zaino everything, including the seal for 2 years, and didn't find it very good. Esp for bird crap. The Swissvax has been more effective IMO, plus gives it a much deeper shine.
You are forgetting the price difference between Zaino and Swissvax. Swissvax Mystery runs for about $600 (http://www.amazon.com/Swissvax-Mystery/dp/B002LOP6N4) and it is only a top coat. I've not tried Zaino, but have heard good things about it.

Few other products that I have in my garage:

JetSeal 109
Liquid Glass (easy on, easy off)
Klasse AIO (will do wonders on a black car which has oxidation)

Last edited by am_ver; 01-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get that showroom finish on a black car???