A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How To: Airbag Control Module Replacement

Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by meinaudiauto
I tried that but it gives me:
"The request to Clear Codes was not acknowledged by the control module."
Generally that means a bad connection or wiring harness problem or a bad control module. Put the old one back in and see if it acknowledges.
If the old control module acknowledges then the one you put in died. It happens (used one?)
This is the problem with module replacement level diagnostics….if the vag-com doesn't show a commo problem and you replace a module and it works for awhile but then dies…you have to assume it was a module that died and just replace with another module. If THAT module dies you have to go old school and check every sensor in the particular system, not an enviable job.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Generally that means a bad connection or wiring harness problem or a bad control module. Put the old one back in and see if it acknowledges.
If the old control module acknowledges then the one you put in died. It happens (used one?)
This is the problem with module replacement level diagnostics….if the vag-com doesn't show a commo problem and you replace a module and it works for awhile but then dies…you have to assume it was a module that died and just replace with another module. If THAT module dies you have to go old school and check every sensor in the particular system, not an enviable job.

Well, I did go another route and ordered one of these here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=18..._26725410_item

We'll see what that does for me, otherwise I see two options:
1. Send one in to one of these repair shops for $50
2. Get another module from somewhere and see what happens.

Swapping the harness would probably be pretty involved, I'd imagine.

I read that the modules show the code due to cold weather and battery performance, so I'll also use my battery warranty and get it replaced (current one is from 10/2012 though, so should not be the issue).

I read somewhere that people wire constant 12V from the cigarette lighter into the unit to "keep it warm". Anybody heard of that?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default -

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Put the old one back in and see if it acknowledges.
If the old control module acknowledges then the one you put in died.
As of now both the old and new one communicate fine with Vag-Com but both show the 65535 code. Like I said it's a weird coincidence that they both happen to fail after a significantly cold night..
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meinaudiauto
As of now both the old and new one communicate fine with Vag-Com but both show the 65535 code. Like I said it's a weird coincidence that they both happen to fail after a significantly cold night..
These modules fail with time. There is good chance the used one you bought was defective already. There need to be some conditions met for the 65535 code to show up, with some modules it's immediate, with others it takes them some computing. It's just a generic checksum error.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default -

UPDATE:

Like I said I ordered one of these:
Amazon.com: Audi-VW Airbag Reseter: Electronics Amazon.com: Audi-VW Airbag Reseter: Electronics

I finally got it in the mail and tried using it.
With ignition off no success.
With ignition on SUCESS!

The light and code are gone and all is fine. All I had to do is use the "D.Clear" button and let it do it's magic.

I will report back if it comes back.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought that same Amazon wonder box about a year ago. First time I used it lasted about two months. Then, during a cold spell the airbag light came back on. Used it again, turned off the warning light. Now, it comes back every few weeks. Usually during a cold spell. Thus far, is still turns off the light.
I will continue to use it until it no longer turns it off. Then I'll decide if I want to buy a new air bag controller. Probably not. The car is just too old to justify. I am not interested in buying a used air bag controller as I think I am asking for too much from an old part.

Unless there is someone who will truly repair the controller, not just reset it. When I looked a couple of years ago no one would repair this specific fault code. I am hesitant to tear apart the console just to try a used controller that may fail in a month or so.

Anyone know of a permanent fix other than a new controller?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2841962&page=2 This was my thread from before. Lots of good advice here from others.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default -

I actually had it come on a few seconds after starting the car this morning. We had a massive ice storm last night with very cold temperatures. Used the reset tool and everything is fine.

On my personal experience this is solely related to something getting too cold.

Does anybody know what exactly is having the cold issue?
The module itself getting too cold? The battery output being slightly lower in the cold?

I read somewhere that people wire constant 12v to the module to "keep it warm".
I guess I could put a heating device there that I can switch on if a cold night is imminent to warm the module.