Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Brake pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal issue

Hello all. It has been a while since I have posted but things have been insane. Getting sent all over the world has kept me quite busy and away from my car.
Here is my issue: The very last day I was in the States in August, I took my 95 S6 up to my dad's in the mountains for safekeeping. As I pulled through the gate, I braked in order to stop and close the gate. As the pedal reached its normal limit, I heard a pop and the pedal went to the floor. The car still stopped and I still had brakes for the rest of the 1/4 mile drive down the hill to the house, but the pedal passed the threshold where it would normally stop moving. As I got the car into the garage, I did some preliminary research and experimented with the pedal. I heard a hissing coming from the left rear wheel but there is no fluid leakage and that is further evidenced by the full reservoir. This of course was in August, and I will not get back to inspect the car until the end of Feb. Just wondering if you experts have a clue, and whether or not I might be able to fix it enough to drive to the shop. Thanks all!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Weird. I would have guessed the pedal mechanism down at your foot, or perhaps the brake bomb down by the turbo crossover pipe on drivers side.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Generally when your pedal goes to the floor it is a system issue. The pedal stops because you have pressed enough fluid into the calipers to squeeze them on the rotors, essentially. Since liquid doesn't compress, the pedal stops. I had a similar problem on a Civic I owned years back when the rotors that Just Brakes put on the front were too thin and the front calipers exploded from over-extending. Pedal went to the floor and I had minimal stopping power. I suspect that I broke a line in the rear, or popped it off. But I'm asking for things to look for.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well it turned out that i popped the left rear line from age, and the right rear had started leaking. the front lines also were old and getting worn bad. all four replaced. i have brakes again.