S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

A Lament for Audis Gone By

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Lament for Audis Gone By

I never realised there was an Audi world forum, so this is my first post and it is a lament for my the fact that for the first time in 16 years I have no A4/S4/RS4: I went over to the dark side and bought a C63 AMG in preference to the new RS4.

It's not going too well.... see the blog below for details.

http://rjmghome.blogspot.co.uk/#!/20...-quattros.html
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually there are more than one Audi forums. QW and AZ are also popular! sorry for your problems with you MB, Most s4 owners would think a C63 AMG was a very desirable car. BTW, we can't even get an RS4 or an S4 Avant on this side of the pond. RS5 yes, but the engine is disappointing to many of us.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-28-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Enjoyed your blog thoroughly. Looking forward to your return to the fold
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Weird. I actually factory ordered a C63, but the deal went south. Ended up with my second choice (new S4) and don't regret a thing!

Still though it's strange how we both ended up considering the same cars.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the C63 was a bit too much for what I was looking for and was $10K more than my S4. One of the employees at a tuner that I use to take my vette to (when I had the vette) bought a C63 and he isnt a happy camper. His MERC has seen the shop too much. Admittedly, my S4 has had a myriad of issues as well and 1 keeps recurring.

MY 2013 A8, which is a gorgeous car, had to have the tranny replaced at 1400 miles. Unbelievable! She is about to hit 3K miles and so far since the new tranny she has been good

I hear similar groans from BMW Forums. And BTW, this is a culture shock to me because I had 3 lexuses since 1998. Prior to coming over to AUDI, only time I spent in service was for maintainance. A Lexus isnt as fun as a german car but man, they arent in the same solar system as far as quality and reliability. I suppose its a compromise, although not a very well-embraced compromise.

I have come to the conclusion that whereas German cars are fun to drive, they arent built well (with the exception of porsche according to JD Powers)

I find myself on the fence with AUDI. I know that historically, was , one of the worst in the industry (early 90's i believe) So based on my own luck with 2 AUDI's, my concern would be are we seeing the AUDI of yesteryear? Has AUDI duped us based on their great marketing, commercials and nice interiors? Time will tell. All I can say is if my A8 goes south, I may have to say goodbye to AUDI. I am crossing my fingers because I do have hopes for an R8. I almost pulled the trigger on a low mileage R8 but I am glad I didnt due to the problems I have had so far with my 2 AUDI's. I need to see some consistency before an R8 is in the stable, thats for sure

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had more service issues on my wife's IS 250 awd than either my previous
335i or current S4. But neither of them left me stranded on the road (twice) as did my current S4. (water pump failure and IC inter cooler punctured by road debris)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
She is about to hit 3K miles and so far since the new tranny she has been good

I have come to the conclusion that whereas German cars are fun to drive, they arent built well (with the exception of porsche according to JD Powers)
Wow, culturally divided here. Firstly if you had a tranny in your car in the UK, you'd be looking at a gentleman in a dress, so that threw me for a moment. Secondly, it is a universal truth known to all Englishmen (and Jane Austen) that German cars are built brilliantly, but without any humour at all.

Of course I have no idea where this universal truth originated..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmghome
Wow, culturally divided here. Firstly if you had a tranny in your car in the UK, you'd be looking at a gentleman in a dress, so that threw me for a moment. Secondly, it is a universal truth known to all Englishmen (and Jane Austen) that German cars are built brilliantly, but without any humour at all.

Of course I have no idea where this universal truth originated..
1940?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I feel pretty lucky compared to others in this thread. My wife and I had always bought Japanese cars until I got my S4. In fact we have a toyota and a lexus in the garage next to the s4 right now! But I haven't had any mechanical problems so far in the s4. I've had it for 3 years but only ~24k miles (though some of those miles were on the track).
Anyway our japanese cars were all very low maintenance. I'd definitely echo the toyota/lexus recommendations if that is a major concern - though we have also had good luck with honda/acura. My last car was an infiniti g35 and it was pretty good except for insanely fast brake wear. By 24k miles I had fully replaced the pads & rotors on that car. The s4 brakes are still fine. I was expecting worse based on what I had read about audi's reliability so I feel pleasantly surprised so far.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most issues with a car was a Subaru Outback and an Acura MDX... My Q7 (2011) has been flawless and my 2001 A4 2.8 had it's first major repair at 85,ooo and it was a CV boot, engine mounts and a Clutch... all wear items. 99k on it now and I still don't want to give it up (although I'm considering an S4 now)

Quick Reply: A Lament for Audis Gone By