Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

He had the money to by one, but...

Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default He had the money to by one, but...

So, I am stopped at a red light waiting to get onto Rte. 22 in Scarsdale, NY near Trader Joe’s when it happened. A southbound new looking A7 (how old can an A7 look?) that was turning right to get into Trader Joe’s crunches his right front tire into the curb, leaving big gashes and scratches on the wheel and tire. The impact shook the whole car.
No reaction whatever from the 80+ year old driver who then proceeded to drive straight at me, squinitng as he went, even though I was well within the bounds of my lane markings, stopped motionless. I tooted the horn, so he jerked to the right, allowing his right rear wheel to hit the same curb. Still, no reaction, just a stony gaze and on he goes into the Trader Joe’s lot. He parked and walked toward the store without so much as shooting a glance at the battered right side of his car.
It reminded me of an idea I had when I was in my 20’s (I will be 72 next month): let kids fresh out of college sign a contract that they get the maximum pay for the job they land for 10 years without having to work, they then agree to work until they die. In our system people who are young enough to enjoy a lot of life’s fruits don’t have the money or time to do so. By time they do have some bucks and the time (like the driver I am talking about here) they may not have the mind or body to really enjoy the goodies they can then afford.
Anyway, I felt bad for the A7 and wondered what a driver like that perceives as he is driving a fine $70,000 + car like the A7. Anything, or is it all just like sitting in the recliner at home?

Last edited by irenesbob; 01-08-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe, a thing to consider is ur in one of most wealthy zip in NY so those people may just not care
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
Maybe, a thing to consider is ur in one of most wealthy zip in NY so those people may just not care
The location was in Scarsdale, I do not live there, I was just shopping from Yonkers. Don't know about him. The few really well off people I know take great pains to care for their possessions. I think few get wealthy by not caring - that sounds like a fantasy-based stereotype IMO.
A buddy who's worth north of 100 million cringes if he scuffs a pair of shoes and drives a 7 year old Porsche he takes care of.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
No reaction whatever from the 80+ year old driver...

He parked and walked toward the store without so much as shooting a glance at the battered right side of his car.
Old age will do that to you.

Reminds me of an accident my 90 year old father-in-law had a few years ago. While parking at a Wegmans he accidentally got his winter boot jammed between the accelerator and brake pedals. The car spun out of control in the icy parking lot and hit 3 cars and a grocery cart before coming to rest.

People rush up to him to make sure he is OK. The first thing he says is - are the bananas still on sale.

True story. Amazingly nobody was hurt - but we took his keys away from him to avoid any future problems.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
People rush up to him to make sure he is OK. The first thing he says is - are the bananas still on sale.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

I bet he was driving his son-in-law's car!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I bet he was driving his son-in-law's car!
+1
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Thats why we don't let my father drive any more. He's only 66, but he's completely oblivious to his surroundings and whats going on around him. Sucks for me to have to drive him around, but it keeps the public safer.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old age, cluelessness, and ego/stubbornness... recipe for disaster. Man's gotta know his limits!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most old people drives pretty good in my area but the only problem is that they ram into 7-eleven or dunkin donut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: He had the money to by one, but...