A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 Audi A4 Clutch Fail 38K miles. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Audi A4 Clutch Fail 38K miles. What do I do?

Based on my situation as described below, I am looking for any recommendations as to: (1) what to look for to make my case that the pending clutch repair should be covered by my warranty, (2) how to manage the pending repair work and/or associated cost, and/or (3) any other recommendations related to this issue. As I have authorized $600 in work to disassemble and inspect the clutch on the chance that it will be covered by the warranty through failure of a warrantied part, if I will ultimately be for bearing the cost of the repair, I am not sure that having the repair done somewhere else will make economic sense. Finally, if this issue is a sign that I should move on from this car, I welcome that counsel too.

Yesterday my clutch failed on my 2010 Audi A4 B8 with 38K miles and just after my 35K service that was completed without issue. Prior to the 10 mile drive when the clutch failed, there were no signs of the clutch slipping or any other issues leading up to the failure. During approximately the last half mile of the drive, which was in downtown traffic and a parking garage, the clutch started slipping and then while in the parking garage slipping very badly. I parked the car in the first available parking spot and had it towed to the Audi service center.

I have driven German made manual transmissions cars over the last 20 some years without clutch issues. I am not particularly hard on cars and the majority of the miles driven in the car have been freeway miles traveling my work commute mostly between 40-60 mph. The failure occurred just a few weeks after the service center completed its oil consumption test on the vehicle which was within the allowable specification. It seem unlikely that during the oil consumption test that the service center may have done something to the vehicle to cause the clutch failure.

It is at the Audi service center and they have estimated $3800 US to replace the clutch. I have authorized them for up to $600 in labor to diagnose the problem. The car is still under warranty, but the clutch is not covered. The service center has indicated that if the clutch failed due to the failure of a part under warranty that they will cover the repair, but if not I will need to pay for the repair.

If the service center determines that the repair is not under warranty, then I intend to go have a look at the damaged parts and, if possible, try to make my case that the flywheel, bearing or some other part that is under warranty was at fault and that the cost of the repair should be covered by the warranty. I may also request that they have an Audi representative (not from the service center) come out and take a look the problem as a second opinion.

Thank you for your consideration.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Clutch wear is not covered under the warranty. The way you are describing it it's not wear so they should pay for it.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Clutch wear is not covered under the warranty. The way you are describing it it's not wear so they should pay for it.
Thank you for your response.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
agreed