Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2nd row heated seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd row heated seat repair

One day, my son complained about his cold seat. I did not know but it did not work anymore in this cold weather. But it was not my seat and I did not have time to look that up. So, he was seating on the cold seat and keep complained for couple weeks.
Finaly, took the seat off and looked it up.
This is what I found. Broken wires....

I thought it could be entier heating element went bad.
Luckly, it was just broken wires, and then i was wonder, how nice cut is that. The wires were under the seat cover, in groove that between the cusions. It will remain as a mistery.

Anyways, I soldered the wires with extended wires.
Now it works fine. Nice and warm.

Happy winter for everybody.
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

While you're there, can you take the pictures of the wiring to the body for me please. I'm trying to retrofit the rear heated seat. I don't really know where the wires would go from the seat to the controller.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you have to remove the seat to get the seat cover off? I need to put the heat element on them. Can you give some instructions please.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can remove the seat from frame by lifting up the front edge of that cushion. Please do not forget to remove latches cover. After remove the latch cover, Hold the seat cushion at the front edge and lift it with some force. Then you can take the seat cushion out if the frame. Flip the seat cushion, then you will find trims that holds the seat cover to the cushion. Disengage the trims, then you will find hog rings that is holding cover to cushion. You need to cut the rings with nipper. Of course, you need hog rings and hog ring plier to install the cover to the cushion. But, i did not use hog rings and plier. I used zip ties. It works anyway.
You will figures it out when you start to do it. I am now traveling 1,000 miles away from home. So, it is difficult to up load pictures and instructions but, I am sure there is a lot of pictures in on-line that you can find.
Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One more thing! You need to unplug the connectors that is under neath the cushion before lifting the cushion. Otherwise, you are not going to be happy with broken wires. There are two connectors one that is green and other one that is black. Green is power come from main power supply for back and seat. Black is the one for the seat cushion. And there is a clip is holding the wire. You need disengage that too.

Once again. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks - how do you remove the "latch cover" -

Originally Posted by sealf76
One more thing! You need to unplug the connectors that is under neath the cushion before lifting the cushion. Otherwise, you are not going to be happy with broken wires. There are two connectors one that is green and other one that is black. Green is power come from main power supply for back and seat. Black is the one for the seat cushion. And there is a clip is holding the wire. You need disengage that too.

Once again. Good luck!
The seat folding latch or forward/backward latch?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First world problems when your rear passengers dont have heated seats.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

... and they complain about it!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
While you're there, can you take the pictures of the wiring to the body for me please. I'm trying to retrofit the rear heated seat. I don't really know where the wires would go from the seat to the controller.

Thanks,

Louis

I am also trying to retrofit the rear heated seats, but on to a 2010 Q7. I live in Monterey, CA. Do you have it completed yet? Or any helpful guidance?

Respectfully,

Steve
Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I bought the controller with the heated seat buttons... BUT

Originally Posted by sequils
I am also trying to retrofit the rear heated seats, but on to a 2010 Q7. I live in Monterey, CA. Do you have it completed yet? Or any helpful guidance?

Respectfully,

Steve
My rear seats don't have the elements with wires sticking out. I heard all Q7s with 4zone option were pre-wired with heated seat in the rear, but I was wrong. Now I just bought an after market heat elements for the kids this skiing season. If you have the heat elements in the seats already, all you need is the controller that has the heat buttons. I have one, it's working, just it doesn't see the temperature sensors. I'll post some pictures.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: 2nd row heated seat repair