Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What are these red lights in my tachometer?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Sorry, all I really meant was that you seemed puzzled why the 3.0T lacked this feature - and to me it seemed like the turbo was the common feature (rather than a gas vs diesel distinction). It does appear that turbos are becoming far more common in diesels as well as gasoline engines these days, but to your point - my 1982 Isuzu I-mark diesel was normally aspirated

ETA: well my comments were in relation to the "Audi C7 platform A6 models" in which the thread is found
No need to be sorry, you were correct. While I can understand why the tach has the gradual max rpm indicator in turbcharged models, I'm still wondering why Audi would eliminate this feature in the 3.0T. Isn't it a good idea for all engines to go through a warm up period before you go WOT? If so, it seems like the "progressive" tach display would be useful with all engine types.

Question for the C7 turbo equipped owners: is the red line rev limiter directly related to the lowered tach RPM? In other words, if the tach indicator starts out cold showing less than the normal, full rated red line, does the limiter kick in and the transmission forces an up-shift at the lower readings until the car warms up and the gauge is displaying at normal maximum?

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-27-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2012 2.0T and I have never seen the redline change or go lower than 6,200 rpm. Note that I am in Florida and it doesn't get cold enough here to warrant a reduced redline.

The only thing I have seen is the normal startup sequence where the LEDs light up one by one starting at 8,000 rpm and going down to 6,200 rpm.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No need to be sorry, you were correct. While I can understand why the tach has the gradual max rpm indicator in turbcharged models, I'm still wondering why Audi would eliminate this feature in the 3.0T. Isn't it a good idea for all engines to go through a warm up period before you go WOT? If so, it seems like the "progressive" tach display would be useful with all engine types.

Question for the C7 turbo equipped owners: is the red line rev limiter directly related to the lowered tach RPM? In other words, if the tach indicator starts out cold showing less than the normal, full rated red line, does the limiter kick in and the transmission forces an up-shift at the lower readings until the car warms up and the gauge is displaying at normal maximum?
Yes, I have seen the S6 start as low as 4200 at redline due to very cold temps and then gradually increase. While the redline is lower the car will shift sooner. I am shocked that it isn't on the 3.0T engine because despite no turbo it is still a boosted engine and thus under even more stress so it is important to have a good operating temperature before maximum stress on the engine.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Yes, I have seen the S6 start as low as 4200 at redline due to very cold temps and then gradually increase. While the redline is lower the car will shift sooner. I am shocked that it isn't on the 3.0T engine because despite no turbo it is still a boosted engine and thus under even more stress so it is important to have a good operating temperature before maximum stress on the engine.
Gator, you're shocked? I'm not shocked by much of anything these Audi engineer/marketing guys come up with these days. Many of these kinds of things often make little sense to those of us who find themselves at the tail end of the Audi food chain.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Gator, you're shocked? I'm not shocked by much of anything these Audi engineer/marketing guys come up with these days. Many of these kinds of things often make little sense to those of us who find themselves at the tail end of the Audi food chain.
The main reason for the surprise is because Audi seems to take the more conservative path when it comes to things such as the S-tronic shifting at the redline automatically even in 'manual' mode. I wonder if the 3.0T is a stronger engine and it isn't as important or if the supercharger just makes significantly lower level boost.