Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

10k miles interval between oil change?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I've seen all sorts of contradicting break-in period advice. I'm currently at 600 miles now - can someone please link to a valid and good break-in guide for the 2.0T engine to avoid the above mentioned problems?
I would say dont baby your car but dont beat on it either, just drive it normally. At 600 miles, your piston rings are already seated, you can probably slowly increase your RPM at this point. The owner's manual only calls for a 1000 km break in period, which is 621 miles.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I've seen all sorts of contradicting break-in period advice. I'm currently at 600 miles now - can someone please link to a valid and good break-in guide for the 2.0T engine to avoid the above mentioned problems?
Don't drive like a granny. You've got to excercise the motor a bit once it has warmed up. Yes, there are some extended write-ups here. Not sure where to find them.

FWIW, I completed my 5k mile service yesterday and my 2.0T does not appear to have consumed any oil since it was delivered to me. I have monitored the level closely.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would say dont baby your car but dont beat on it either, just drive it normally. At 600 miles, your piston rings are already seated, you can probably slowly increase your RPM at this point. The owner's manual only calls for a 1000 km break in period, which is 621 miles.
Okay - well, I hope the pistons seated properly.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can you show me one test that shows European spec synthetic oil that have fail before 10000 miles under normal driving condition, not severe? I believe the Audi manual describe what is consider severe condition. If you can post that test, then Audi have a law suit on their hands.
If you are losing 1/2 quart of oil, you should probably top it off.
Its $35 if you DIY, but $100 at the dealership.
I am all for cheap insurance, but unnecessary maintenance is such a waste.
I bought a 2003 1.8T A4 brand new from the dealer. For the past 9 years I have brought it into Audi for all recommended maintenance, including the 10 year interval oil changes, with full synthetic that I bring to the dealer myself. I'm now at just under 120k miles, and last week my engine fricking bit the dust. Wow. $4000 later to fix, I'm going to be changing the oil every 5k miles. The mechanic told me that my engine exploded becuase I followed Audi's 10k mile oil change interval. (Lost the tensioner, 4 valves shattered, inter alia...the mechanic said it was becuase I didn't change my oil more frequently than 10k miles.) Audi doesn't want to change the oil 10times for free on a new car from 5k to 50k miles, so they recommend 10k miles so they can save $$, I swear. I'm pissed. I babied this car, and did 100% of everything the Audi dealer mechanics recommended everytime it was brought to the dealer during the past 9 years. Now it is toast.

The mechanic fixing it specializes in Audi and said a LOT of Audi's come though there around 120k miles in need of huge engine work becuase people follow Audi's recommended 10k intervals...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by malmc02
I bought a 2003 1.8T A4 brand new from the dealer. For the past 9 years I have brought it into Audi for all recommended maintenance, including the 10 year interval oil changes, with full synthetic that I bring to the dealer myself.
Well, no wonder, Audi didnt recommand a 10 year oil change interval like you wrote
All kidding aside, did you mechanic tell you what went wrong with the engine? Your timing belt snap? Maybe a bent valve.
Its not uncommon for a 10 year old European engine to have a few thousand dollars worth of work. 10K oil change or 5K oil change.
Finally, what kind of full synthetic oil did you used and what grade of gas??

Last edited by The G Man; 04-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, no wonder, Audi didnt recommand a 10 year oil change interval like you wrote
All kidding aside, did you mechanic tell you what went wrong with the engine? Your timing belt snap? Maybe a bent valve.
Its not uncommon for a 10 year old European engine to have a few thousand dollars worth of work. 10K oil change or 5K oil change.
Finally, what kind of full synthetic oil did you used and what grade of gas??

Tensioner came apart, 4 valves broke, fuel pump died, destroyed valve cover, etc, and according to the mechanic it was due to the length of time between oil changes. He drives the same car (but with many more miles) and said to NEVER wait 10k miles before changing the oil or this is bound to happen. This advice came from a mechanic who specializes in Audi engines who has a shop that is not affiliated with the Audi company, not to be confused with the mechanics at Audi who recommend the 10k change interval.

I have used Amsoil 0w30 for every oil change, and use the highest octane gas at the pump, which will be either 91 or 93.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tensioner came apart, 4 valves broke, fuel pump died, destroyed valve cover, etc, and according to the mechanic it was due to the length of time between oil changes. He drives the same car (but with many more miles) and said to NEVER wait 10k miles before changing the oil or this is bound to happen. This advice came from a mechanic who specializes in Audi engines who has a shop that is not affiliated with the Audi company, not to be confused with the mechanics at Audi who recommend the 10k change interval.

I have used Amsoil 0w30 for every oil change, and use the highest octane gas at the pump, which will be either 91 or 93.
I am not saying Amsoil is a bad oil, but its not on the VW approve oil list.
May I ask what the oil change interval has to do with a broken belt tensioner?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

May I ask what the oil change interval has to do with a broken belt tensioner?
This is exactly my question.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regardless what manual said about the oil change interval, I always change it every 5k miles with Mobile 1 (unless the interval is less than 5k miles). It applies to my and wife's car.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Amsoil 0W-30 is not on the approved list that meet Audi spec. That doesn't mean that your using the "non-approved" Amsoil caused the failure but it does raise suspicion. FWIW, I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and change every 5K.
Approved oils:
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2012.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10k miles interval between oil change?