TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New Audi TT?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi TT?

I have owned a 2000 TT since the beginning. To be honest its been a rollercoaster of a joy to drive mixed with the sadness of constant repair and reliability issues. My car has 130K miles and it is time to move along.

For those that have lived with the Mk2 for a few years... How has the journey been? I am concerned about reliability after living with a car that has had three class action lawsuits. In my opinion the Mk1 was full of problems that one might attribute to the early years of a new model (e.g. unforeseen engineering design problem like timing belt, excessive tire wear, poor electrical components like the cluster panel and fuse panel, cheap plastic parts like the coolant connector, alien sprayers, water pump, window pulleys, glove box latch, rear hatch molding; I could go on). Has Audi improved on some of these issues?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Buy with confidence

I had a new 2001 TT that had several recalls and a minor problem about every 9 months. I then bought a 2004 TT with 7K on the ticker and it was virtually trouble free except for a coil pack recall. I've had no issues with my 2011 Mk 3 that I bought with 8K on the ticker. I view 3 Mk 2 forums regularly and see no pattern of consistent problem areas as we saw in the Mk 1. According to Consumer Reports, the Audi brand has skyrocketed in reliability in the past few years. Last year it was the most reliable manufacturer in the world, except Japan. This year they even overtook some Japanese manufacturers. If you are thinking of a used TT, I would go no later than 2011 when a major engine upgrade to the base TT engine was introduced. If you want a third pedal, you are limited to an older 3.2 model but the 3.2 has the same 0-60 time as the new 2.0, is 250 pounds heavier in the nose, and has worse gas mileage. However, everyone who has the 3.2 loves it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I must have been one of the lucky ones with the MKI TT. I had a 2001 coupe with 160K on it when I reluctantly let it go in 2008. In that time I had the coil pack recall, a new headlight switch (I had no lights at all when that went) and then replaced the steering rack at 120k. Other than that my silver baby was great.

I am on my second MKII, but I only gave up my '10 TT when I was able to pick up a sweet '13 TTS. I had no issues with the '10 in the 45K miles I had it, nor have I had any issues with my '13 in the 15K miles since April last (I live up to my screen name ;-).

I loved the MKI for its style and Quatro capabilities. The MKII is still right up there for me. The economy factor is still there. On my latest road trip to GA I got 28ish mpg and had a full load of stuff. Not quite as good as my first 180QC, but not bad at all. And you "can still take it with you". Like the MKI, there is still room in there for anything you want to take.

At first I was disappointed that there was no third pedal, but I am fully ok with the DSG. It can be shifted in a manual mode if you choose, or just Drive or Sport. I stopped looking for the clutch after about three months, and have been happy with the performance to date.

Audi seems to have come along with the reliability and name recognition in the last several years. I see more of them on the road now than I ever did in the past. Very few TTs, but lots of A4s and A5s. A lot is determined by the local dealerships (the one I use is excellent) or whoever you have for service.

I believe they used an updated engine in 2011, but other than that I don't think there were any major changes to the line other than cosmetics. I wouldn't hesitate making the switch to a MKII.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by widstje
I have owned a 2000 TT since the beginning. To be honest its been a rollercoaster of a joy to drive mixed with the sadness of constant repair and reliability issues. My car has 130K miles and it is time to move along.

For those that have lived with the Mk2 for a few years... How has the journey been? I am concerned about reliability after living with a car that has had three class action lawsuits. In my opinion the Mk1 was full of problems that one might attribute to the early years of a new model (e.g. unforeseen engineering design problem like timing belt, excessive tire wear, poor electrical components like the cluster panel and fuse panel, cheap plastic parts like the coolant connector, alien sprayers, water pump, window pulleys, glove box latch, rear hatch molding; I could go on). Has Audi improved on some of these issues?
I hope I'm not jinxing myself here...My wife is about a year and a half into a bot new 2013 TT Roadster. There are not too many miles on it - about 6000. One reason she bot it was we figured Audi had all the 'bugs' out of the MK2 by now. So far, NO problems.

Last edited by RFS; 02-14-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have an '08 TTR s-line with a 3.2 and 6sp manual. I have all of 28K miles on the car and it is essentially as new. Very tempted by the 2015 (or a Cayman S which I love) so may be selling. Only issue I had with the car was with the power top - which required new sensors and flap motors. In the last 3 years or so, I have had zero problems with the car and love driving it. Dependable, quick, and pretty rare around here. Yes, I'd buy another without question.