Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Awesome way to stream Bluetooth music on 2012 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can plug in my wife's iPod if I want.

I want to stream Pandora off my phone. You can't do that on an iPod, unless you are on WiFi.

My phone will do it over the air on 3G/4G.
My wife does it all the time in her WRX with her Android phone. Just can't be done in the Audis.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

I want to stream Pandora off my phone. You can't do that on an iPod, unless you are on WiFi.

My phone will do it over the air on 3G/4G.
My wife does it all the time in her WRX with her Android phone. Just can't be done in the Audis.
My wife's new GLK does this. She has an ipod in the glovebox, but then you can connect to any Bluetooth device and steam music. I use it for Spotify/Pandora and it's great. You can even skip tracks and it brings up the name of the track.

C'mon Audi....
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So I can basically buy this Dock Boss. Plug it into the apple cable in the glove box. Close the glove box and forget about it.
I was ready to order but then I saw this note at the bottom of the product page:

The dockBoss air is not compatible with the Bose SoundDock Portable or systems that require digital audio signals. For more, read our post here.

So AMI cable will probably need to be modified to simulate a 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable (i.e. use analog audio signal). More info here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...o-via-mmi.html

Last edited by Yoshimura; 11-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I was ready to order but then I saw this note at the bottom of the product page:

The dockBoss air is not compatible with the Bose SoundDock Portable or systems that require digital audio signals. For more, read our post here.

So AMI cable will probably need to be modified to simulate a 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable (i.e. use analog audio signal). More info here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...o-via-mmi.html
I'm pretty sure the AMI cable is in fact analog, so it should work. I just ordered one, I'll post when I get it and let you know if it works. Great find!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

PLEASE follow up and let us know if this works. I too have ordered a similar device and could not get it to work in the Audi, in my Jeep, or a few other connections.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that. Sorry
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Am I missing something here? My wife just plugs her phone into the cable in the glovebox and streams music that way. Why do we need bluetooth?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

...so you can make selections with the phone mounted close to you. Or see what's streaming if you're using some sort of streaming app, or change stations on your streaming app, without having to plug and unplug the phone every time you get in and out of the car. Imagine having to reach over to change a station on the iphone.
Also people with phones other than an iphone 4s or earlier, the plug in option won't work. Bluetooth would work fine for most A2DP devices, I assume.

iPhone 5 won't work on our old cables either.

Last edited by vwtoys; 11-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok - I understand the iPhone 5 compability, but I guess I'm just against looking at the phone while you're driving, period. This product will only lead to more accidents and deaths by people scrolling thru their playlists while driving.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Am I missing something here? My wife just plugs her phone into the cable in the glovebox and streams music that way. Why do we need bluetooth?
Some prefer typewriters and some.... computers!

Quick Reply: Awesome way to stream Bluetooth music on 2012 Q5