TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Strange lip on 2013 TT RS OEM Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange lip on 2013 TT RS OEM Tires?

Hi all, I am pretty new to the forums and to Audi. I have a 2013 TT RS with about 11k miles on the OEM tires. I bought it used with about 2.5k miles. The car is totally stock.

I recently took it in for service for the common 80 MPH vibration. They found that the two front tires were a bit out of balance and that the front tires were exhibiting an odd lip on the inner edge of the tire. They rotated the tires and then did a road force balance and the vibration went away. They recommended I replace the (then front, now back) tires because of the lip and they said they were not sure what would have caused it.

This was all about a month or so ago. Today I took a look at the front tires (which were the rears) and now they are showing the same lip. I am concerned that something about the setup of my car is causing this. It also seems like the tires are wearing very unevenly - with way more wear on the inside than the outside.

So I'm curious if anyone has seen or heard of this and if it's something I need to be concerned with? I hate to replace tires with 11k miles on them, but I'll do it if I have to. I just don't want to have to do it again after that because of something actually being wrong the car.

I've attached a picture showing the lip. It's visible on the left side of the picture, extending about 3/4" from the inner edge of the tire. You can also see the higher level of wear on the inside versus the outside.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jason
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very odd but I bet it is related to an alignment issue. I've got 30K on mine and haven't had anything like this. Post on some of the other, more utilized forums and I'm sure you'll get an answer in an hour or two.

FWIW, many of us have added more neg camber up front (-1.4) and zero toe. We leave the rears alone. This helps add some crispness to the steering. Good luck and do some searching, you'll find the two places we all frequent!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

There were some pretty lively discussions over on Fortitude about alignments and tire wear. You might get some feedback there.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy
Post on some of the other, more utilized forums ...
What more utilized forums? I switched from another one which was DEAD to this one which is better but still very quiet. I would appreciate knowing where everyone is.

... and now back to the thread ...
Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by neuroTTs
What more utilized forums? I switched from another one which was DEAD to this one which is better but still very quiet. I would appreciate knowing where everyone is.

... and now back to the thread ...
This forum used to be more active, but seems most have moved over to Fortitude.com. Also some on Audi World, but I use Fortitude and this one mostly.

Edit: I meant Quatro World not Audi World above.

Last edited by RoadTTripper; 03-02-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Admins don't like the promoting of other forums so I leave that info out generally. But, QW and 4titude is where most of the action is along with some TTRS dedicated FB pages.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll continue to search around and maybe peek into a few new spots