A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 Headlight Shake

Old 10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Headlight Shake

Hello everyone,

i had my auto body install HID Bulbs about a year ago, over the past year when driving i would notice a shake/vibration in the drivers side light when passing highway signs especially I no longer can deal with this and want to find the fix I posted a video to show you a exactlly what I am talking about. It has a slight shake when I shut the doors. DRIVERS SIDE ONLY. Any suggestions to fix?

Thank You

Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Why would you do install HIDs? Did you car not come with bi-xenon lights?

If for some reason you had standard halogen, unfortunately the halogen reflector was not designed to handle hid output and focal point. its completely different technology. aside from more glare, you will not be getting much of that extra light to the ground where you need it. What you WILL be doing is blinding the car that's approaching you and pissing off people...

As for why it's shaking...well perhaps it's loose? The bulb mount/housing might be loose and causing a rattle upon engine revs
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry for the mix up i had replacement xenon lights put in not HID
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

as for the loose housing, how would i look into adjusting...there is the coolant and power steering resovor in the way...very little room to remove headlight rear door and less room to move hands around in there
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so did you previously have xenon headlights (from the factory) or did you have halogen and then 'upgraded' to xenon through and after market kit?
Originally Posted by balla4lyfe4421
sorry for the mix up i had replacement xenon lights put in not HID
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the only way to actually confirm that nothing has come loose would be to remove the coolant reservoir and confirm that the mount in the headlight assembly is good...it's actually easier than the work you would need to do if the issue was on the passenger side - air filter housing

good luck
as for the loose housing, how would i look into adjusting...there is the coolant and power steering resovor in the way...very little room to remove headlight rear door and less room to move hands around in there
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
so did you previously have xenon headlights (from the factory) or did you have halogen and then 'upgraded' to xenon through and after market kit?
Always had bi-xenon lights, just time fore new bulbs
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
the only way to actually confirm that nothing has come loose would be to remove the coolant reservoir and confirm that the mount in the headlight assembly is good...it's actually easier than the work you would need to do if the issue was on the passenger side - air filter housing

good luck
The entire headlight housing seems to have no play at all. When i stick my hand inside however i can jiggle the back of the housing for the xenon light?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not the headlight housing that would shake, but the actual housing/socket that holds the xenon bulb and connects into the headlight assembly housing. Sorry but I don't have a pic, however this is just basic troubleshooting from the perspective that you know something is shaking, hence something is slightly loose...it may be the socket fit not being quite correct.

BTW, here's the instructions on changing the bulb: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...38237913488811

The entire headlight housing seems to have no play at all. When i stick my hand inside however i can jiggle the back of the housing for the xenon light?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm gonna have to take a look into mine also after it gets back from getting my chains replaced...
But its been driving me nuts! The stupid thing shakes for no apparent reason. I just hope its not something in the lense that's loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 Headlight Shake