Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

No power from Cigarette Lighter outlet - '95 S6

Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power from Cigarette Lighter outlet - '95 S6

Dear Ur-S experts...

Looks I either have no power to my cigarette lighter outlet, or my plugs are not making contact. I'm thinking the former as the OE lighter was pushed in when I got the car, and wasn't hot.

Is there a common scenario here? Fuse? Wires?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be the fuse, check the panel on the left end of the dash (driver's side for a LHD car).

That said, the cigarette lighter power receptacle is larger than the current (pun, not intended) power plugs used to charge mobile phones, etc.

Not sure when they were changed but the UrSs have the larger ones.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, it could be the fuse, but you will find it in the relay panel under the bonnet (hood). The logo on the cover will show it at the most aft slot on the right side and most difficult to remove by hand.

The larger diameter allows most plug in adapters too much freedom of movement so they tend to short out the plug. Any of the '03 or later Audi plugs should make a fine replacement with an exact fit for the hole and matching the red light surround.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by scarman
Right, it could be the fuse, but you will find it in the relay panel under the bonnet (hood). The logo on the cover will show it at the most aft slot on the right side and most difficult to remove by hand.
Hmm...Are you sure Tom? I don't see it listed here:

Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, after your little treatise on memory, I am not comfortable saying I am certain about anything. : ) Plus, there are so many different aux relay panel 1 arrangements that looking at the specific panel is the only way to be certain.

It is there in the A5 position on both my early '95 sedan and '95.5 avant, the location reinforced by having to change it 3 times on a cold and snowy night before I realized that movement of the GPS plug in the lighter socket
was causing the fuse to blow and resulted in my upgrading my lighter sockets.

I haven't asked that "moorewr" crawl under the vehicle, remove the belly pan or transmission. If he will simply pop the plenum cover up and check the panel and/or cover, that seems the simplest method to answer the question, and one that most likely leads to solving his problem since he also has a '95 model.

I will arrange a photo session later.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Note to self: Never express any form of weakness on the internet, even as self-depreciating humour, because someone will pick-up on it and use it to their advantage against you.

(kidding)

Sort of.

Tom: The difference *might* be UrS4 vs UrS6 wiring. I'll go check my 93 UrS4 and my 98 C4 Avant (basically 96 spec (95.5 UrS6 in the US)).
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am a bit confused by the fuse panel - I see the cigarette lighter mentioned, but on the same fuse as the wipers and the word "(Australia)" - if that's the correct fuse those other things are all in working order.

1995 S6 dash Fuse cover label:

Other things at random that might be related?

* Seat memory doesn't work, but when I use the remote the mirrors move. SO that part of previous settings seems to work, but I not for the seat and I can't set the memory...

* Back in the day the original owner installed a radar detector with an on-off switch next to the diff lock, and lights in front of the IP.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update!

I went back and looked at the auxiliary relay - there it is in A5. "Door lock heater/cig. lighter."
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by moorewr
Update! I went back and looked at the auxiliary relay - there it is in A5. "Door lock heater/cig. lighter."
Can you please take and post a photo of the inside of the relay cover (if it has a "map" like the UrS4 one I posted)?? For the archives. ;>)

There are obvious differences between the UrS4 and the UrS6, at least the later UrS6s. (I did NOT know that).
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to add to the store of knowledge..

1995 S6 Sedan auxiliary relay cover:

..and as expected the fuse had blown. Thanks again everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No power from Cigarette Lighter outlet - '95 S6