Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Introducing the new AudiWorld Forums!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I have done further checking. Gone into other forums and looked at different threads. Some display oldest first, some newest first, could not find any consistency so far.

Frank
That is strange. Mine is set to "Linear-Oldest First" and I'm all over the forums and threads almost every day but haven't seen any threads yet that don't follow the rule. Have you tried to change the setting, save, then change it back and save again? Might be worth a try to see if that clears the issue.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That is strange. Mine is set to "Linear-Oldest First" and I'm all over the forums and threads almost every day but haven't seen any threads yet that don't follow the rule. Have you tried to change the setting, save, then change it back and save again? Might be worth a try to see if that clears the issue.
Did not make any difference. I sent you a PM
Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM
IB Staff

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Posts should now be displaying in the correct order, regardless of which Thread Display Mode you have chosen. If you continue to experience an issue, please let me know.

By the way, how are the rankings that show below one's id on the left side (Newcomer, Member, Senior Member etc.) arrived to? Is it automatic based on number of posts or is it manually assigned by moderators or some other methodology?

Frank
The rankings are based on sign up date. Members with lower members have been on the site longer, while higher numbers represent newer members.

Were these rankings not visible before the redesign? We can remove them if they were not previously displayed.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Posts should now be displaying in the correct order, regardless of which Thread Display Mode you have chosen. If you continue to experience an issue, please let me know.

The rankings are based on sign up date. Members with lower members have been on the site longer, while higher numbers represent newer members.

Were these rankings not visible before the redesign? We can remove them if they were not previously displayed.
Ranking titles are same as before the redesign. Unlike in your earlier site comparison example though, the icons are different, at least on Firefox and Safari. Hopefully, the original ones, which were easier to understand, can be restored for all browsers.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, it is correct now. Thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The ranking was displaying before, the Account # was not.

I still don't understand what the rankings are based on. Strictly on the number of days one has been a member? If that is so, say when does a Junior Member become a Member or a Member become a Senior Member?

Nothing to do with someone's activity on the forums?

Last edited by fkaufman; 04-19-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The ranking was displaying before, the Account # was not.

I still don't understand what the rankings are based on. Strictly on the number of days one has been a member? If that is so, say when does a Junior Member become a Member or a Member become a Senior Member?

Nothing to do with someone's activity on the forums?
I'm not certain but I believe the ranking title is some combination of sign-up date and post quantity (except for Moderator and Tech Guru titles which are assigned by the AW Administrator). The account number, which I believe was present on the old site (at least in the member's profile), is simply a number assigned in numerical order of a member's join date. The first AW member to join was #1, the second, #2 and so on. Someone joing AW today would be something like acct. #281,xxx.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-19-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not certain but I believe the ranking title is some combination of sign-up date and post quantity (except for Moderator and Tech Guru titles which are assigned by the AW Administrator). The account number, which I believe was present on the old site (at least in the member's profile), is simply a number assigned in numerical order of a member's join date. The first AW member to join was #1, the second, #2 and so on. Someone joing AW today would be something like acct. #281,xxx.
The account number was present on the old site in the member's profile. Now it shows on every message under the User ID and ranking. It is really superfluous and serves no purpose.

There appear to be two rankings. One standard one that everyone has (yours is AudiWorld Super User) and one that only a few deserving people have and is obviously assigned by the AW Administrator (yours is SuperModerator).

Is there a clear explanation of the standard rankings somewhere?

Last edited by fkaufman; 04-19-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The account number was present on the old site in the member's profile. Now it shows on every message under the User ID and ranking. It is really superfluous and serves no purpose.

There appear to be two rankings. One standard one that everyone has (yours is AudiWorld Super User) and one that only a few deserving people have and is obviously assigned by the AW Administrator (yours is SuperModerator).

Is there a clear explanation of the standard rankings somewhere?

I wouldn't necessarily call them "rankings" - they're more designed to indicate experience. There are several levels i.e. Newcomer, Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, Expert and Super User.

A Moderator designation is not for "a few deserving people". It's a purely volunteer position for AW veterans who are willing to consistently spend extra time helping the Administrator to monitor all the forums, delete spam, respond to reported posts, try to answer PM questions and "keep the peace" when necessary. Tech Gurus are also voluntary for those AW vets who have demonstrated superior knowledge in technical matters and wish to contribute their expertise through tech articles and the discussion forums.

The Acct. numbers are cousins to the Join Date and IMO, not a big deal to have them present. If anything, the Post count, Join Date and Acct# might be more indicative to a member's AW experience than the level titles.

At the end of the day, what matters most in my view, is to what extent a member participates in the AW community discussions, going out of their way to help othersby offering valid advice, sharing experiences and doing their best to set a good example for others. While the level names might matter to a few members, they really don't carry much importance and I'd bet most don't even pay attention to them.

I've not seen anything specific as to how or when the labels are assigned and never paid attention to them so much as other factors. If you really must find out how they are assigned, PM Kris Hansen, AW Administrator/Editor - he should know.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A Moderator designation is not for "a few deserving people". It's a purely volunteer position for AW veterans who are willing to consistently spend extra time helping the Administrator, monitor all the forums, delete spam, respond to reported posts, try to answer PM questions and "keep the peace" when necessary.
Allow me to disagree with you. It is definitely for those few who are willing to consistently spend extra time helping the Administrator to monitor all the forums, delete spam, respond to reported posts, try to answer PM questions and "keep the peace" when necessary. You are one of them and the designation certainly is well deserved.

Frank

Quick Reply: Introducing the new AudiWorld Forums!